Jump to content

White Film


Queenie

Recommended Posts

  • Regular Member

My red cap oranda, Tiny has been in isolation for several weeks. He is recovering from dropsy and is do very well. I treated him is TS and medigold. But now he has a white film growing over one of his eyes. It's not a cloudy look to his eye, it looks like a film stuck to his eye. Is this a fungus? I'm treating his water with Jungle fungus clear. Any other suggestions.

Also, if this doesn't go away, and I put him back into his tank when it's time, will the other fish get it? Thanks.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Regular Member

Hi Queenie,

The possibility is that it may be what is called white eye, its a bacterial infection not a fungus. Generally its caused from overmedication of one thing or another and often a secondary effect with illness's. Treatment needs to be done with a antibiotic such as Maracyn, though sometimes Melafix w/ salt (0.1% - 1 tsp per gl) will clean it up. Otherwise if you have a vet that is fish friendly then a baytril injection would do it. Sounds like its just starting maybe, so you can nip this early on!

Fish can get cataracts also though.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Regular Member

If I may, I have a couple questions about this white film your describing:

So, you say that this is not a cloudy look, right?

Does it look similar to a whitish scab growing on the eye?

Generally, when you see a whitish film over the eyes of a fish, it is related to either a bacterial infection or the cornea got burned by either ammonia or medications. But, I have seen and read about some fish having some sort of whitish scab growth on their eyes when internal bacterial infections are apparent. I had a betta that exhibited this characteristic. He suffered from pop-eye wich was cured. Then a year later, he came down with full blown dropsy. The second infection resulted in the whitish scab that I described. In the end, he did not make it. :(

Off the top, I couldn't help but notice that you haven't listed your water parameters. Test for ammonia and nitrItes and if you see ANY readable amounts of either, perform large watrchanges until the params stabilize. Medications can easily cause an adverse reaction in your bio-filter wich can cause your ammonia and ntirItes to rise. Regular checking of these is needed during ANY treatment. If you get readable amounts of ammonia or nitrItes, perform waterchanges and the white-eye should dissapate.

I hope this helps!

Paul

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Regular Member

Thanks Toothless. I didn't list the water parimeters because Tiny is in a 5 gal., uncycled isolation tank now and I've been doing 100% water changes daily and have kept very close eye on the ammonia. I have done this since the 1st day I put him in there. I also have air going and a filter w/o carbon.

The reason for him going into the isolation tank to start with is that he developed dropsy. The way he looked I didn't think he would make it. He puffed up so bad I thought he would pop and he was severely pineconed. I isolated him in the 5 gal. and treated him with Triple Sulpha and medigold. I just added new meds everyday when I changed the water. I had wonderful success with that. I followed with a few days of epson salt. He returned to normal but I wanted to keep in isolation to make sure he was completely clear before returning him to the main tank.

He developed this white on his eye. It does not look like a scab. It kinda looks like a sticky white substance. The coverage is uneven. Looks a little thicker down the center of the eye. I am treating the water with Melafix and salt as Kathy suggested. So far it's not getting any worse.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Regular Member

Right! you've described what I saw on my bettas eye pretty well. Right in the middle of his pupil is where it was centralized and it looked like something stuck to it.

Anyway, since then, I have researched pop-eye and dropsy a bit and it seems that the kidneys are directly related to bacterial infections of the eyes. Since dropsy is also correalated with the kidneys, maybe there is a connection there. Not sure.

Is there any chance of a pic for good reference? :huh:

Paul

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Regular Member

Okay, I'll take a picture right now while I'm changing out his water. I'll have to post it later though because I'm getting ready for school. I appreciate your help with this. I sure hope he makes it. He is acting fine.

Sorry about your betta :(

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Regular Member

Toothless, I took the picture but it doesn't really show up that good.

There seems to be some improvement in his eye.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Regular Member

HI Queenie!

*waves at Toothy*

Good info from Paul..... :D Queenie, if it doesn't improve soon, then IMHO, go to a antibiotic like Maracyn 1 or 2.

If you can keep the temp of the water stable @ 78*-79* also that will be a bonus as the fish's immune system will function at its best then.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Regular Member

Okay. To me it looks like it has improved some. But, it's still there, just not as bad. But, I am going to order some Maracyn tonight. I'll have to get it off the web because you just can't find that around here at all. I can't make a long drive to the city right now either, but I should be able to get it pretty fast by mail. What do you think I should get Maracyn 1 or 2? I appreciate you guys helping me.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Regular Member

Before you decide to medicate with anything, let's take a look at all of the symptoms he is exhibiting as of recently.

Is he acting funny at all?

Is he eating with a normal amount of gusto?

Any fins clamped, red or tattered?

If he seems to be healthy, save the wierd eye affliction, then I would suggest that you hold off a bit longer. Keep his water as pristine and steadfast as you can and he should be able to do the rest.

But, I would ALWAYS keep maracyn 1 and 2 around if I had a fish that has had dropsy in the past. That and medi-gold. ;)

How about a pic or two anyway? It always makes it a bit more personable if I get to see the little wigglers I am helping out. :D

Post back soon.

Paul

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Regular Member

Hi Queenie, :hi With the marcyn products, one of them is for gram negative bacteria and the other is for gram positive. I'm not sure which is which but since it's difficult to diagnose which type of bacteria you are dealing with (unless you have a microscope) it is best to use both.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Regular Member

post-4092-1122725875_thumb.jpgHi everyone,

He is not displaying any other symptoms right now other than his eye. His appetitite is good, he is begging for food as always.

He is not clamping his fins, he's swimming around as normal.

Okay, so I'll order the Maracyn (thanks Annette, I'll get both) and just keep in on hand for now.

I tried to edit the picture of his eye, but it still does not show the affliction clear enough for you to actually see whats going on. But here's a picture of him anyway. Tiny is my special therapeutic fish. I bought him the day after something really bad happend and I was feeling so terrible.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Regular Member

Tiny is such a cutie. :D I can't actually see the film on his eye but I do know what you mean. I read on the board sometime ago a thread about melafix leaving the eyes cloudy or filmy. It's a possibility I guess.

In the case of pandagirl it cleared itself but it was around for months and months, I had given up and thought it was permanent.

I agree with Paul's suggestion and keep Tiny in clean water as long as possible, it may sort itself out.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Regular Member

Thanks Annette. You wouldn't be able to see the white on this picture. This is not a current picture. I took a current picture of his eye but it just doesn't show the white place. This happened before I put the melafix in.

So if it could take months to clear up, do I need to keep him in qt all that time? I'm wondering if this is something the other fish can catch?

I'm keeping his water pristine. 100% daily changes, and Ron stands by while I'm at school armed with a turkey baster to get any poop. :D

He sure looks good compared to what he looked like when he had drospy.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Regular Member

In my opinion, you should be able to put him back in the main tank. Just be well and sure that your params are closely matched between the two tanks. If there is any difference, acclimate him in a bowl of water from the tank he is in, then start adding small amounts of the main tanks water to the bowl until you have doubled the amount in his acclimation bowl. Then he should be good and ready. ;) Just an added precaution due to the fact that dropsy was in his near past.....

He is a little cutie! I'm very happy he seems to be doing well for you. It would be heartbreaking to lose him considering he helped to keep you feeling well. :heart

Paul

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Regular Member

Okay. Thanks again everyone. I'll keep him in qt a little longer to make sure and then I'll let him back in with his buddies. :)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

×
×
  • Create New...