Do I Have To Cycle An "old/used" Tank?

maries

Hi everyone,

I was just wondering- I have a used aquarium I previously used before with other fish and I still have the old gravel.

I had it (gravel) outside sitting in a bucket and the aquarium outside as well. I cleaned the aquarium up, put new water in it, and want to put my new goldfish in it.

Do I still have to go through the whole cycling process even if it isn't brand new? And if so, how long? Thank you :)

-marie

Thanks for the fast reply :)

I actually already bought 2 Shubunkin's and they are currently in my female Betta's tank which is quite small so of course I don't want to keep them in there.

I am using my female Betta to cycle the old aquarium I asked about since she is quite hardy. It's a 10 gallon... the thing is will the new goldfish be OK in the smaller tank for that long?

I would go ahead and cycle the tank with them in it since you already have the fish. They won't do well at all in the smaller betta tank (the 10 gallon is really too small for them. the general rule being 10 gallons per fancy goldfish and even more for other varities). But working with what you've got for now, the ammonia will build up VERY quickly in the smaller tank and it could become toxic in a hurry. Cycle the 10 gallon (unless you can get a bigger tank for them now instead of later, they will outgrow it soon), just test the water and you may have to do daily or every other day water changes for a while until it cycles which could take a few weeks. The test kits will let you know when it is cycled. It is a little more work with the fish in the tank but they will be fine if you keep the water in top condition. The betta will not cycle the tank well enough though, so personally, I would get the fish moved where you want them to be and go from there. :)

OK thank you so much!

I had a feeling I was going to have to end up cycling with the fish.

I hope it goes well, I bought an ammonia test kit today and will buy a nitrate one tomorrow. When I do my water changes.. can I just change the water from the top, will that be OK?

I just want to get this right! And I will definitely be getting a bigger tank soon, its just I am tight on $$.

-marie

im not sure about the water from the top..

but congratulations on your new fishies and setting up the tank, im sure you will have fun!!

oooooooh wow i hav just discovered all the other smilies!!! i was wondering where people were getting em from and there they are!! oh im so dumb :hummm:welcome:kickbutt ah ha ha

Well I put the 2 fish into the 10 gallon and the little one isn't doing too well, must have happened overnight. :(

I will keep testing and doing water changes, I hope the bigger one will get through this.

Sorry the little one is not doing well. :( Do you have a filter and air stone going? Did you remember to use water conditioner to remove chemicals? I know you have probably done all these, but sometimes, the smallest things can be overlooked. While you are cycling, it is ok to just dip out some water (may have to be done 1 or 2 times daily) and add new at some of the water changes and gravel vac just every few times. I wouldn't disturb the gravel too much so the good bacteria has a better chance to set up there and in the filter media too. Later though, a gravel vac will really be the best way to do water changes every week and get more of the uneaten food and poop out. I hope things look up for the fish! :)

Thank you, you are so helpful :heart

I do have a filter and an air stone going, I use Amquel as a water dechlorinator and some Stress Coat as well. I did a small water change this morning. I have added some Aquarium salt as well, hope that is OK. I've been reading that the salt is good for then the Nitrites peak...

The little one died pretty fast.. kinda happy cuz I don't like seeing my fish suffer. I always say though survival of the fittest!

Sorry to hear about the little one! Yes, at least it was over fast :heart .

The ten gallon will be a good size for the remaining goldie - when you have the budget for a bigger tank ( I've been there! Try Craiglist)! then you can get it started off with your already cycled water from the ten gallon!

It sounds like you are off to a good start with your questions and research -

Enjoy your new fish!

Hi again..

So after a few days.. I've been testing my tank and changing the water etc and yesterday morning and night, also this morning - the ammonia is at 0ppm and nitrities at 0ppm. Is it possible for it to be done already? Not according to what I've read, but how long does the tests need to register at 0ppm before you know it has "cycled"? Thanks.

Have you had any positive tests for ammonia yet? The cyce will have to go through that first. Maybe you're keeping your water changes up toooo good! LOL! Seriously though, test it first and if the ammonia is up too much, then change, no ammonia or nitrites up yet, let it wait. Just my thoughts, someone else may be able to suggest something better for you. :)

Umm.. ok spoke too soon, lol. :rolleyes:

Yeah I tested it tonight and ammonia was up .25 ppm so I did a water change. I'm still thinkin of a name for my fish (a Shubunkin). I call it a she, but really don't know what sex it is :D "she" is soo cute though, loves to play in the bubbles, I'm already falling in love. :) Thanks again!

• 3 years later...

Archived