Cycling

Hrm... if you have a good and cycled filter around I'd take the used filter media and swish it around in some of its own tank water. Actually, swish is too gentle. Bang the heck out of the thing on the side of the bucket and get the water good and ucky looking. Then pour that into the new tank, and let sit for 24 hours. At this point, water should be clear and you should have a good base of bacteria in your new filter, which will grow more quickly than they will from nothing.

That's how I'm gonna do it. That and add to the filter a bag of pea gravel I've had sitting in my old tank for a bit.

I added over all of my filter media along with the new filters, the old gravel in with the new, some of the tank water and some of the decorations, etc. It went very well and never had a problem. Good luck! I wouldn't be able to look at an empty tank either. :lol:

Kortniee is spot on with her advice. :exactly

But, you dont even have to use a bucket. Just set the tank up and take your filter cartridges from other healthy tanks and swish them around and get as much of the goo off of them as you can (in the new tank).

As Kortniee aslo pointed out wait 24 hours and your tank should be VERY close being fully cycled. Sometimes a little burp in nitrItes can happen when doing this so make sure to do waterchanges and use salt if they do. ;)

wow! i never knew it could happen like that! i thought i was gonna haave to do a full blown fishless cycle or something. in fact, i may use all the innards from all the filters i have on small tanks now...they are all fully cycled.....awesome! now i just have to decide on a tank! :yikes

Archived