This Fish Is Neither A Telescope Nor A Fantail.

kortniee

Talk amongst yourselves. I'll give you a topic:

I saw a fish at vvvv today, in the calico telescope tank. It was certainly calico, but it was not quite a telescope. It had only one telescope eye! At first I thought it had just had an accident, but when I looked closer, I saw that it had another eyeball on the other side of its head (!!), just like you would see on a non-telescope variety.

I'm not into breeding (of anything, really) so I don't ever see the pre-cull fish. Is this a common thing? I always kind of thought of things like that as pretty symmetrical, but I guess sometimes it doesn't work that way. Is this something that would result from breeding a telescope with a non-telescope, or is it just a freak of genetics?

I've seen those sorts of fishes... "mutt" crosses can come out really attractive sometimes. This particular fish had one normal eye and one telescope eye, though, which I've never seen before.

Kortniee, I think your are pretty right in assuming this was a fish who in most cases would have been culled.

Both it's parents were most likely telescopes but they can have offspring with normal eyes, or a mix.

I forget the statistics now but when breeding fancy varieties only about 10% of offspring actually inherit all the fancy qualities of their parents. The others can be a mixed batch, some even reverting back to the common form of their ancestors.

I guess I always assumed a fish would either inherit the telescope eyes or not inherit them, instead of having both kinds of eyes in one fish. I thought briefly about buying him, but he was gone when I went to get rabbit food today, so either he was snapped up or he died, so I didn't have to make that decision.

Me too... he looked healthy and active and not the least bit handicapped as far as function is concerned. The fish at that vvvv are usually quite healthy, actually.

Sounds like a very interesting fish! Knowing me, I would have probably thought he had popeye or something! :lol1

One day on a fish store visit, my boys noticed a fish that had one red and one blue eye. They were jumping around all excited. :lol:

Hi All - Interesting! I had read about telescopes they when they are born they have "normal" eyes. I cannot remember when they "pop out - I mean, at what age, but could it be that this fish - if it was young - had asymmetrically developing telescope eyes? Just wondering! I'll try to find out what age (size) this happens.

But it could certainly be a genetic defect - luckily he made it through the cull!

I would take him if I could - I :heart calico telescopes!

Have you seen him again?

FIsh genetics involves an incredible number of factors that go into even the "simplest" thing - eye shape. Many telescope eyed fish have misbalanced eyes - being slightly different in size is one of the most common of faults in the fish. It is one of the first things a judge will check. I suspect that this fish simply had more dramatically mismatched eyes than normal. They may even out as he ages or they may become more pronounced. It is hard to tell.

I have seen telescope eyed fish with 3 eyes. (a crownpearlscale, three eyed fish), and ones with eyes that are so different that you barely would think the two sides of the fish would be on the same fish. I also have had a panda demekin that developed water filled cysts behind an eye which caused it to swell to twice its normal size.

A bubble eye with what looked like a pom pom in place of the bubble is probably only an injured pompom fish. A deflated pom can look like a cauliflower type pom. I suspect his bubble was damaged - in the filter, by rough handling, by disease, by other fish, making it look that way.

Sigh..... :(

One day on a fish store visit, my boys noticed a fish that had one red and one blue eye. They were jumping around all excited.  :lol:

366744[/snapback]

My roommate fishfelice's ranchu Lance had one blue eye and one orange eye. I don't have a good picture of it, though...

Hi All - Interesting!  I had read about telescopes they when they are born they have "normal" eyes.  I cannot remember when they "pop out - I mean, at what age, but could it be that this fish - if it was young - had asymmetrically developing telescope eyes?  Just wondering! I'll try to find out what age (size) this happens.

But it could certainly be a genetic defect - luckily he made it through the cull!

I would take him if I could - I  :heart   calico telescopes!

Have you seen him again?

366754[/snapback]

He was a pretty big fish--over an inch and a half without tail. I don't know how old a fish this big would be... but there's that information if you want it. I didn't see him again when I went back the next day, but he was pretty healthy looking, so I hope someone bought him.

I forgot to add... I was looking at the fish for a while, so the fish worker came up to me and said "Need help with anything?"

I said: "No thanks, I'm just looking 'cause I'm going to get some goldfish soon."

"Have you bought a tank yet? They're messy fish, so they need lots of room and a good filter. They won't do well in a bowl."

"I'm planning on getting a 29 gallon, actually..."

I wanted to hug her! No goldies were going home with bowls under her watch! Yay!

Archived