Is There Anything Else I Can Do?

Guest Chishower

Guest Chishower

Ammo: 0

NitrItes: 0

NitrAtes: 0

PH: 7.7

PH from tap: 7.7

Tank: 3 gallon temp tank, been going from temp to temp to keep the water perfect

Filtration: none (She is too weak for the current)

Water: 100% every day

Additives, Medications: dechlorinator, salted to .3%

Fish: 2 inch Red capped, 3 inch Comet, 3 inch Bristlenosed Pleco. None new.

Food: Wardleys pelets, fruits and veggies, bloodworms, but they wont eat.

Unusual findings: red veins in red-capped tail, swollen pale pink gills

Unusual behavior: not eating, not moving unless bothered

Chloramines: I have no idea, sorry.

Here is the deal. They were in bags for three days with bag buddies while we moved down to Jacksonville. We had brought old tank water (PH 8.2+), but thanks to someone not thinking it was contaminated with chemicals. We put them in a temp tank with all the bag water and just enough new dechlorinated tap water to cover them, but then that got soap in it. They were in soapy water for a good ten minutes before someone noticed, and we had to put them in new water. All this killed my big chocolate oranda.

Now the other two have puffy pale gills, and the red-capped is showing bright red veins. I salted to .3% and keep the water perfect, but is there anything else I could do for them? I don't think I could take losing another fish right now.

Oh Chisower that is so sad. :(

I can only suggest one other thing. At the moment your fish cannot take the slightest bit of stress, especially water quality stress. Can you find somewhere larger for them? Those 3 fish would be better of in a 10g (or larger) container than remaining in the 3g.

That's all I can suggest, if you can find somewhere larger for them just continue your current regime.

Aww, man! thats just plain rotten luck..... :(

I agree, all you can do is provide perfect water quality for them. There's not much else you can do, really. Keep the temperature as stable as you can too. Especially during waterchanges. One other thing, increase aeration. Add a bubble stone ASAP.

Umm, I couldn't help but notice thqat you said you moved down to Jacksonville. Would that perhaps be Jacksonville, Florida? :huh:

Keep us posted.

Paul

Okay, just file this bit for future reference. When you arrive after a long trip, do not use any of the water that is in the bag. That stuff is close to toxic and it is only bearable because the chemicals are in an unholy balance while inside the bag but once it is out of the bag it is a different story.

Chemical burns are hard to heal. Prinstine water and plenty of aeration and a little salt. 0.1-0.15% is enough. 0.3% is a little high for that purpose. Good luck!

Guest Chishower

Fishmerised - I don't have anything bigger at the moment. The 30 gallon is in storage and we don't have anywhere to put it until the garage apartment gets painted and cleaned. Could me moving them to fresh water every day be too stressful?

Toothless - I will pick up a bubblestone today for them, I didn't even think of that! Yeah, its Jacksonville, Florida. You guys have some wicked storms down here. :krazy: Any decent pet stores?

Captk - So I could have made it worse by using bag water? I only did it because I didn't want the PH change to be any more extreme than it had to be, but could it have made it worse? I will lower salt today.

Twinkle seems to be swiming better, but all down her back is this bright pink color. :blink: I am pretty sure she wasn't pink before. Her gills still seem puffy, hopefully the bubblestone will help with that.

Yeah, when the fish has been traveling that long in the same bag, the ammonia level would be very high but the gradually increasing carbon dioxide level drops the pH until it is very low which means the free ammonia is actually in ion form and is less toxic. However, if you pour the water into a tank and then add some fresh water, the pH jumps up and the ammonia still in the water suddenly becomes toxic and you get the double whammy. It is better to drop her in pristine (temp equalised) water then it is just a quick adjustment to the pH without the added complications of ammonia and other toxic chemicals.

Guest Chishower

eeeeeep. I had no idea that could happen!

Change of plans, I can't go to the petstore today, dad decided that running trim and caulking the sink again is more important. Is there anything else I can use for airation?

As a matter of fact yes! Dureing power outs we use a container to do so. Anything should work, but a nice pitcher works best since it holds more water. Take the tank water and hold it high and re-pour it into the tank to agitate the water several times. This can be done every two hours..... Better for the fish would be to remove some of the tank water to a big bowl/tub and do this so as not to stress the fish any more then needed. Agitate it well before returning.....

:D

That would certainly help. :exactly

And, you can turn on a fan and direct the airflow across the surface of the water. The BEST scenario for that would be one of those little clamp on fans that only has 6-8 inch blade span. If you can get a ripple to form on the surface, your doing great. ;)

Cool, so you live in my neck of the woods! I live in North Jax Beach. If you ever want to check out a REEEAAALLY good pet shop, try Ocean Reef. It on Atlantic Boulevard right behind, of all places, Long John Silvers! Anyway, its in the first shopping center on your right after you pass over the intercoastal waterway. For their address, call them at 246-0999. They've got everything you will ever need....

Paul

Guest Chishower

Atlantic is on the other side of town, we live on the west side...at least I think its on the other side. This city is soooo confusing! :krazy:

I got a little bubble filter at nnnnnn, only to discover that I dont have a powerhead/air pump to run it. Sigh... I guess the next step is to go on a fan hunt.

Yep, to increase aeration, you need to have an airpump. And prefferably, a bubble "wall". Its a stone that is about 6 inches long or more that breaks the air bubbles into smaller bubbles. All your trying to do is get a current to form across the surface of the water, wether by bubbles moving across, or air moving across, this is what increases aeration.

There is another way to increase aeration for your fish. Its rather cheap too. Just remember that you REALLY need to make sure that your mixing the correct ratios and amounts to get the stock solution for spraying into the tank. Follow Dr. Johnsons instructions carefully and this method should help greatly until you can get your aerator.

Increasing aeration with hydrogen peroxide

Ah, I see. You live out on the west side. Thats cool too. There are a few good shops out there. They have a good vvvv there. Anyway, if you ever need anything or any help with anything, look me up. If you like, we can exchange numbers to correspond by phone. If not, no biggie. Just offering help. :lol:

Guest Chishower

I must admit I am a tad aprehensive using H2O2, but I figure its worth a shot until I can get my hands on an air pump. And even though I took chem, that never once occured to me. Its so simple. :blink:

I don't think I would be able to explain that phone call to the parents. "Its about FISH! I swear!" But it is nice to know that in the case of an emergency fluke invasion, there is prazi nearby. I'm sure you have enough to share.... :rolleyes:

Fishmerised, I do believe that wal mart is having a sale on all small planes...I mean, they seem to sell everything else these days.

:rofl Now Evil Sib, I'm sure that Paul would hop by your place for a tinny or two and take some vacation time.....

After all, all that hopping round the world in a nnnnnn super special price reduction 101 twin prop should entitle him to some of the grand tours! :rofl

Hahahaha :rofl:tomuch:

Don't be surprised if you hear a loud buzzing engine and you walk out back, look up and see this:

prymus-2.jpg

That would be me dropping out of the sky with A two-stroke attached to my back and a backpack full of fish meds strapped to my chest ...... :lol:

What?! 20+ hrs for a one way trip?! He can't be doing too many house calls.  :rofl

367107[/snapback]

You're quite right Henry, would definately have to upgrade to a mini Concorde for OS visits.

Toothless, I'm sure you and Daryl can rustle up something a little more substantial while that concorde is on backorder. :lol:

Sorry Annette, they don't built Le Concorde anymore. :( Have to settle for a space shuttle instead. Ooops, that is not very safe either. Oh bugger, we'll have to wait for the teleporter to be invented. :rofl

Archived