Got A New Goldie!

toothless

Well, it's not mine, really. It's really my neice, Mia's, and my sister, Sara's, fish. But, I have been organizing the whole deal for my sis and schooling her a bit. Mia, really loves to come over and watch my fish. So, she started bugging her mom about getting some goldfish. So, Sara decided that they would both have their own goldfish, in the same tank, of course.

I started them with a ten gallon and a penguin bio-weel 150. Once this one passes quarentine and flukes treatment (salt too), Im going to set her up with a 20 gallon long and we'll put another one through quarentine in the 10. She wants a moor like Shaggy next. I think that with a little help from me, she'll get just that. ;)

So the tanks ready a week later, today. We go to my favorite local shop to look for goldies. We get there and realize that they were just days from getting their next shipment. Needless to say, their stock was low. BUT, In their large goldie tank, they had a couple of beauties that had not been scooped up yet. We immediately saw a good looking calico fantail wiggling around in the tank. By the way, their large goldie tank is a 70-80 gallon bowfront, nice digs. So I go to ask one of the clerks how much that particular one was going for (it wasn't labeled). She told me very sadly, "Sorry, I can't sell you any of those fish in that tank, they have flukes". Well, I just so happened to be carrying a ten gram bottle of prazi in my pocket. Seriously! I planned on treating for them anyway. After I assured her that I was indeed very capable of treating for anything, she let us have our pick. :D

So, without further ado, here is Chelsea in her acclimation "bowl". As you can see her tail is fused:

chelsea.jpg

And here she is once in the tank. I got REEEAAAALLLLY lucky to get this shot of her. She was quite active once in the tank:

chelsea5.jpg

Anyway, I think shes gonna be just fine. They were right. She did have flukes. I saw one on the leading ray of her dorsal (you can see it in the topview) and one on her side. Yep, I just said that I SAW them with the naked eye. Whatever strain of flukes it was, it was a large one. :o Within 3 minutes of being in the tank triple dosed with prazi, the one on her dorsal fled the scene. The one on her side was still clinging on as I was leaving. They'll be dead by dawn though..... :lol2

Enjoy

Paul

Not them, Kortnee, the fish are the lucky ones...... :lol:

Jimmy, Flukes are a type of worm that has hooks they use to burry into the skin, fins and gills of fish. Thats when they proceed to eat from the slime coat and grazing the skin as well. Theyre particularly nasty creatures that very often have bad bacterias in them that can spread to the fish. Anyway, here's a link to a really good photo: skin fluke (gyrodactylus) and here's a link to how they look under an electron microscope, while attached to the skin of some unlucky fish: flukes attached

you really need a microscope to see them. I just have a trained eye for these things..... ;)

yep, it wouldn't be too good if flukes were found to be in one of your tanks. Luckily, there are VERY good treatments for flkes out there that don't hurt the fish or filter in any way. Thats the "prazi" that I mentioned in my first post. :)

Anyway, I think shes gonna be just fine. They were right. She did have flukes. I saw one on the leading ray of her dorsal (you can see it in the topview) and one on her side. Yep, I just said that I SAW them with the naked eye. Whatever strain of flukes it was, it was a large one. :o Within 3 minutes of being in the tank triple dosed with prazi, the one on her dorsal fled the scene. The one on her side was still clinging on as I was leaving. They'll be dead by dawn though..... :lol2

Enjoy

Paul

366603[/snapback]

:rofl3 Yep---That's are local "Fluke Buster". Toothy gives them the evil eye & grin,tells them to "Get out of Dodge",then shoots them in the back with some Prazi,as they're leaving! No Parasite sees the Sun rise around these parts! ;) (Oh by the way Toothy,Chelsea is a beauty!!!!! I can't wait to see the little Moor that you pick out! :lol: )

Hahahahaha! yeah! I definitely hate those flukes. After what they did to my Lurch a couple years ago, I've never been the same. Buggers!

Yeah, we saw one last little moor at the shop but he was a little too bedraggled for my tastes. And his eye's weren't altogether telescopic either. So, were gonna wait til this little one is in a cycled 20 gallon long before we get the moor. She really wants to have a pleco of sorts too. so, we might get a bushynose or rubberlip pleco at the same time as the moor.

Chelsea is 2.75 inches long, maybe 3. Shes all tail though. :lol:

Paul

Those fish are beauties! how lucky for them the Fluke Meister walked in - you saved them! And now the fish store knows the secret weapon and will treat the others! You are a true fishy hero! I know your family will really enjoy their :newfish .

PS - We ALL want a fish like shaggy! :lol:

Archived