Guest Rain

Hi, I'm new to the site so please forgive me about not knowing how//where to post messages. I noticed the site a few months ago when I was looking up info about my new fishies: a calico fantail and a shubunkin. Though different in size they were instant friends.One chasing the other, then the other chasing the one. This past week I placed another calico and shubinkin in with them. They are all in a 10 gallon tank (which by reading through the site it might be too small) The four of them swim together almost like a school -rarely moving more than 2 inches away from each other leaving a bunch of space aount them to swim. Today I noticed the littlest calico "kissing"? on the bigger of the shubunkins around the mouth and fin area. Is this little guy trying to be aggressive because he's so little or is he trying to show affection?

New to the underwater world - Rain

P.S. I think I posted a similar message in the fry area - sorry. -

AHH - I just noticed that "group: fry" was directed at me being new...

embarassing

Well, the tank is very small, so be sure to keep up your water changes. As they grow, if you keep them all, your looking at needing a 60 gallon, minimum!

I dont know about the behavior, perhaps someone else around here knows

The fish swiming in a school is a good sign, that they get along, sometimes they peck at other fish, as long as it is not too aggresive, it is alright. Yes, your tank is very small to be holding that many fish, as they grow, you will need a bigger tank, or you will run into problems such as sickness, stunted growth, or poor water quality.

Remember to change water enough, since your water will become dirty really quick, since goldfish poop alot.

They sound like they are great together, and if the behavior isn't hurting your other fish, I'm sure it will be okay.

About the ten gallon tank thing. I have six fish in a ten gallon, and they have all been in there for...hmmm...two or three years? None of them have ever been ill or anything, and they all look very healthy! So it shouldn't be that bad, unless they grow alot. Yeah... :blink:

your fish WONT grow in a ten is the thing.. they will stay small, stunted actually.. and have a shorter life span.. as opposed to the 20-30 years, your will only live max, MAYBE 6-7? thats if their already stunted...

if they get moved and get to grow, they'll live longer... its like putting a puppy in a hamster cage.. ya, it COULD happen (just wtach animal cops :( ) but its not a full life

It's only been a few months for the originals, and a week for the new ones. Though I have been trying to talk my husband into building an outside pond. (i don't thik he'll go for a 60+ gallon tank inside!) -- It took me going out and buying a tank and fishies on my own to allow fish in the house-- Anyhow, would shubunkins be able to live outside in a pond all year round (if dug deep enough)? If so how deep. I have a perfect spot for one - a ground well surrounded w/ stone that had been dug for flowers - though I think I would enjoy fishies more. I do keep the tank clean w/ partial water changes (about 50%+) weekly and entire tank cleaning once or twice a month. I also have three snails who like to glide along the sides.

actually, the snails make it worse, just couse they make alot of poo! i would definenetly get a test kit, and be testing every day. thats what i did when i had my 2 commons and 2 orandas in my 16, while the 40 was getting set up

In answer to your pond question, the shebunkins will, but fantails are summer only. The pond should be at least 3 1/2 ft deep. Before building a pond I suggest you do some research into it so you build it properly the first go and don't have to re-build or add. There's many diy projects for filtration to help thats just so easy for us gals to build ourselves..... :D

Be sure to allow 50 gls each fish (some say 100) for goldies. Also allow for spawning should you wish to keep some of the fry, but plan on giving a lot away...

Pond goldies that do well are Shebunkins, Pond Comets, Sarrassa's, Wakins, Tosamba (sp?) . Fancy goldies don't handle temps below 55* and really should not be in with more aggressive types such as these.

And if you do a small pond, No koi.... Koi need 250 gl's each fish minimum.

Very informative! :) Thank you... My husband says okay to the pond but I have to do it all myself - I love diy projects! I will probably move the shubunkins outside - my fantails can stay with me :D

welcome to the world of fishkeeping rain! you did good finding kokos site... you'll learn loads here :)

a pond will be wonderful for your shubbies

something to read up on for your tank is cycling... when you get a new tank or add some new fish your tank goes through a process called a cycle, and learning about this is an important step to successful fishkeeping. there are plenty articles and posts about it on this site if you have a wee nosey you'll find them

Alrighty, I'll check out the cycling thing. I'll also start on the bucket. Its funny - I started on here wanting to ask a question about fish behavior and I end up with a pond and forum I look at everyday!! :lol:

Its funny - I started on here wanting to ask a question about fish behavior and I end up with a pond and forum I look at everyday!!  :lol:

367118[/snapback]

Excellent! The Classic member :D . :welcome

BTW - Throw in some techno stuff - like filtration rates or something - hubby will be in your way before you know it! RE: the new Pond! :lol:

Hehe - I disn't even need to get into the techie stuff! Though the project started out to be a strictly DIY for me, yesterday I got about two feet into the ground and hubby jumps in and says that I hvae to go this way or that way and do this or that. I said for being my project you sure have a lot to say aout it! :)

I knew he would get into it!! He's already said I'm not alowed to touch the waterfall. :lol:

your fish WONT grow in a ten is the thing.. they will stay small, stunted actually.. and have a shorter life span.. as opposed to the 20-30 years, your will only live max, MAYBE 6-7? thats if their already stunted...

if they get moved and get to grow, they'll live longer... its like putting a puppy in a hamster cage.. ya, it COULD happen (just wtach animal cops :( ) but its not a full life

366654[/snapback]

The thing is though, my first fish Bob, has grown about 5 inches in the ten in the past two or three years. Is he still stunted? Cuz I thought that since all my fish are still growing, that they are okay in there. Plus, I'm not allowed to get a bigger tank until we move, which won't be for quite a long time. OR I could purchase my own (must get a job first!) but it wouldn't be able to go in my room because "the floor is not strong enough" according to my parents. We have old wood floors. Hmmm. :(

That's very strange that you've had a fish grow that large in those conditions. Yes, it is probably still stunted, as fancies can reach 10" and commons can reach even 18" with enough room. Honestly, its a bad thing that your fish has grown so much. Bigger fish=more waste. Their growth inhibiting hormone is a good thing to have, it needs to be there to control if not enough room is given.

So far so good! Our pond hole is almost complete. We are estimating it to be about a 3 maybe 400 gallon pond. Though we will probably take more accurate numbers today once we have it complete. I'm so excited - I'll get to get more fishies!! yay (which kind will be the problem) heh I'll have to figure something out for the two fantails in one ten gal. though.

Thanks! :thanks

Archived