Hi New To Fish

Guest Deliriumfish

Guest Deliriumfish

Hi, just wanted to say hi to other fish keepers as all my friends think im nuts! I only bought my tank about 6 weeks ago, but since then i've been researching fish all the time, i've read lots of books, I've even began dreaming about fish at night!! , but it's so much more fun talking to real people, so i found this message board!

My tank has three shubunkins, two are about 1 1/2 inches big and one is about 2 1/2, one very small common goldfish about 1/2 inch, He shoals with the others but occasionally goes off on his own to forage. He is the friendliest too, and always feeds out of my hand. They are called Moon and Stars (the two med. sized ones), Delirium (the biggest one) and Sol (sun) is the little gold one.

My tank is 120 litres (UK) , not sure what that is in gallons, but its quite big, 40cm x 38 x 90cm. i am waiting for the water to finish cycling and am busy disinfecting new plants today to help this. But i was wondering, will my tank be overcrowded if i add my boyfriends peppered corydora shoal, there are four about and inch each, and a little hillstream loach (1 1/2 inch)?

Hope it is ok to ask this here. Hello again!

Guest Deliriumfish

Hello, I know its 10gallons per goldfish and everything, but isn't my little one ok in there for a while? How fast do they grow? I thought i would upgade them to a pond in a year or two (we're moving house soon and i hope to have a pond suitable garden!) Although i'd have to keep Delirium inside, as she is so beautiful, i sit watching her swim for hours.

With the goldfish rule, does that mean i can't add any other fish, like the hillstream loach or corydora's? I know more fish risk the tank getting polluted, but i thought they would help since they eat any leftover food, and don't produce as much waste as the goldfish.

Do most shops take fish back? Although i'd hate to have to give Sol back, couldn't i just get a bigger filter? There's lots of areation so oxygen isn't a problem.

Thanks for your replies

Guest Deliriumfish

Oh and reading that i realise i sound mean-i didn't realise about the 10 gallon per fish thing when i bought them, the lady at the shop said they would all be ok in a tiny 11 litre starter tank!!! I saved up to get this new tank as soon as i got some books and realised how they would die in that tiny tank, but this was the biggest i could afford, (in space and money, as our flat is rented).

I guess there's no room for any other fish :( i just thought they might help the water quality.

PS: im glad im not the only one who dreams about fish!!

Hi :welcome

We have a 30gall tank as well, and at the moment it stocks 3 common goldies and a lemon nymph. we keep the water params ok at the moment by water changes but it's not really ideal. I def wouldn't put any others in.

We started off with two commons in a bowl, but upgraded to a tank after finding Koko's ... however, when we bought this tank, the LFS owner told us we would be fine with appx 8 fish in here!! :blink:

Thank goodness for KOKO's! :exactly

:welcome Just keep on eye on your water parimeters. You'll be fine. :)

You will probably need to upgrade when your common gets big. My common is up to 8" now. He's friendly too. He is so used to eating out of my hand that if I just drop the food in he doesn't even see it at first. He stays at the top looking for my fingers :D

Hi, and welcome to Koko's! I started off with a 5 gallon, with a 5 in. comet, 2 algae eaters, and some ghost shrimp. I also had a very small filter. So you are off to a better start than I was. Luckly all my fish have survived, and are in a pond now.

welcoem to koko's...I hope that you have good a lot of help so far. I would suggest that you keep a watch on your water's quality and that you do frequent water changes.

Guest Deliriumfish

Hello everyone, thanks for the welcome and info ive got so far on the forums. I will watch the water parameters and have decided to re-home my common goldfish into my mums new pond, although im sad-he is so friendly :( but im sure he'll enjoy it there, it's a big pond, so he can grow into a giant :)

Archived