Air Pump Help

Guest lym

It really comes down to how many and how big of the air bubblers you wish in your tank.

If your tank is exceptionally deep, you have to run exceptionally long lengths of air hose to reach from where you keep the pump to the tank and the air bubbler, or if you have an exceptionally long or large bubbler, you will need a more powerful pump. If you are only running a short distance, to a single small stone or such, you can use a smaller pump.

AS with everything I do, it seems, I tend to go overkill. If purchasing a larger pump so you will have the abilty to upgrade or change your configuration saves money in the long run - one larger pump costs less than 2 smaller ones or so - then I usually buy the larger pump. I typically like the two-bangers - the ones with two air outlets. This allows me to run more air features in the tank. If I want more than 2 air features in the tank, I get an air valve, and split the hose to run 2 off of one, with the valve controling the volume of air that goes to each. IF I have a two outlet pump, but only wish to use one outlet at the moment, the valve allows me to shut down 1/2 of the pump and just use one.

In short, I would buy a bigger pump than a smaller one - so you have more options in the future. If you have a smaller tank (26 gallons is not very large, but a nice size tank that could easily hold several air features) and wish to run multiple air features get a mid sized pump with two outlets.....

DOes that help a bit?

For two small airstones (1 inch or so in length) with a tubing run of no more than 5 feet, you can get the smallest pump (175 lph) . You will need a splitter and a valve to run both stones off the one outlet from the pump.

:)

Archived