Been Offered A Second Hand Tank.

puggirl

so i have been offered a seconf hand tank, 179 gallon now tomorrow, i'm going to view it, so what should i be looking for??? it is quiet cheap as they need to get rid of it it he is asking $600 aussie dollars for it but i will haggle with him anyhow, but i was wondering what things i should look for, to see damage or other things, the tank use to house a large barra mundie ozzie native. any tips would be great.

Wow what luck to get such a deal on a giant tank!! I would think all you could do was look for the obvoius things(check for cracks & make sure the seams look good). Did you see it full?

Let us know how it turns out!!

ok i will do that, no the tank is empty as the fish died a while ago. i know it would be best to see it fille dup, but as i'm going there tomorrow and today is his birthday i dont think he could fill it. the tank is 6ft by 24inch by 24inch. and i have 11 fancies already that have been in crowded living since i have had them so i think they will be in heaven if i get it. i really hope it will be good so i get it, i think the stand is just a plain steel one, but i dont care to much about that as long as the tank is good. he says they are in excellent condition.

Maybe instead of filling it all the way, you could fill just a few inches off of the bottom, so you know the bottom won't leak, if that's possible.

Maybe find out what the fish died of, because it might be helpful in sterilizing it. However, if you don't feel comfortable doing this, I wouldn't worry about it as it is not that big a deal.

Good luck! I'm sure the fish will be happy!

When I got my 2nd hand tank I disninfected it as soon as i brought it home! It was definately hard because it was bigger than I was use to, too big to wrap my arms around. But the filters were absoluterly disgusting! And at the bottome there was 3/4" layer of fish mulm. EWWWWWW! you couldn't see the bottom even after it was 1/4". It took a couple days and tons of effort, but now it is algea, and mulm free, and the filter no longer looks like kartchner caverns. It sparkles :)

check for cracks take a flashlight and check for hairline cracks) and as said, check the seals. Also check the bottom REALLY well.. I lost some fish by having the base fall out :(

I agree with Roano, you should see if he could fill it with water until it's about an inch to two and let is sit there for about 15 minutes to see if its any leaks. Also, check the condition of the glass for cracks and scratches. I agree with kissy about the sterilizing the tank if you decide to get the tank. ANd if you are okay with it, ask him why his fish passed away. Hope you enjoy the tank and that it is in great conditions. I would love to ahve a tank that big. Will take a lot of work to keep it up, but it will be worth it to see the the goldies happy in it!!

hi guys went to see the tank, and i'm very happy with what i saw, the tank was very nice and clean, and the stand was also very new looking not a scratch on it. so i have called him back to say i want it, nd he will deliver it to me, all for $500 so i think i got a good deal, so now i just have to by a light and 2 more cf 1200 canisters. then i will be ok.

check for cracks take a flashlight and check for hairline cracks) and as said, check the seals. Also check the bottom REALLY well.. I lost some fish by having the base fall out :(

366548[/snapback]

o mi gawd.. base fall out!?

Oh that sounds like a good buy. Can't wait to see pictures. Also

i don't think you should stock it to the max. With an aquarium that

size the fish deserve the extra room :)

Good luck

Alex

PS; make sure to put it in a GOOD place in the house, you don't

want the floor breaking trough :o (very possible im sure)

I work it out to be about 650 litres, which is 650kgs, plus the weight of the glass at about 100kg makes it almost 3/4 of a tonne when filled.

Wowsas! You couldn't put a tank like that in an upstairs bedroom! lol

Congratulations, Sonni! Be sure to post a million pics when you've got it all set up! :)

oh know, it's abit scary isnt it, i'm just wondering about the steel stand it has the frame plus abit of thin ply wood i think its called then the foam stuff, is this what it's ment to be like? i;'m sure it is i'm just being paranoid, um awrieger did you get my message ????? and yes i cant wait to take heap sof pics, i'm gonna get a new digi camera from out f flyer points as well so i will hopefully get some good pics, also oscar my red and white ranchu looks like his scales are up abit more then usually around his back end, i'll do a water change tonight anyway as i need to get the tub low as i have to move it next to the kitchen bench to make way for the tank thats coming on wednes day, as i'm having it where the fish are now,, and what do you guys think about cleaning this thin, i dont want to use any chemicals if i dont need to the tank looks quiet clean now, i was thinking of just using some hot water with heaps of salt and just clean the glass with this and a cloth, what do you think as i dont was to use bleach or anything else potent liek that as i'm scared i wont clean it properly.

this is just whta the tank looks like i hope FEFE doesnt mind

http://www.kokosgoldfish.com/tanks/Fefe.jpg

That's what my main tank is like. Just an old steel stand with a piece of wood on top then some foam. It's nowhere near as big as your new one, but it seems pretty strong. Probably stronger than a wooden stand maybe, so you should be fine.

I've heard just plain vinegar is good non-poisonous thing for cleaning tanks, but I'm not sure if that's just for removing mineral deposits or actually sterilising it. It should work though by the sounds of it.

PS. Keeping my fingers crossed your Ranchu is okay.

GAWGEOUS! Lucky one for nabbing that one! :exactly Can't wait to see the pix!

I just looked at a tank I found on Craiglist, I said it really politley but I said the tank would have to be full of water when I got there so I could see that there were no leaks. Sometimes people do it on purpose, sometimes they may not even know if the tank has been in the garage forever... but it is caveat emptor!

Luckily, you got a an honest guy with a good solid tank - :druel !

Vinegar - won't really steralize, excellent for cleaning glass and deposits, gentle, and rinses well. If it needs real sterilization then I would do bleach with lots of rinsing, air drying, and lots of dechloinators, maybe more rinsing... like that.

Archived