Smallest Fancies?

Guest Abrienna

Guest Abrienna

I'm thinking of putting together a tank for my classroom this coming school year, as I'm pretty certain that my daughters are not going to le me take my African Clawed Frogs back to school this fall. I've got a 20 long aquarium that is empty right now, and I was wondering which goldies would be happiest. Should I get two of the same type? One of one type and one of another? So many possibilities!

(Aside: I'm a Head Start teacher, and my students are 3 - 4 years old, so I'm thinking that the varieties with limited eyesight might be stressed out by the rapid movements of excited children.)

Abrienna

oops!I put oranda twice.Fantails are good too.Also comets and commons grow big so if you want one of those you should put only one in your 20 gallon.Good luck!and i also think you should be careful since the kids might do something to it.(When i was in second grade my classmates didn't pay attention to work they were under the spell of the class betta) :lol:

Class pets are great! I never got to have any *sniff* You should do like a unit about fishies and teach them some stuff, like how the use gills to breath and such :) I know I would love that unit!

I would go with two orandas, fantails, ryukins or ranchus as those are about the hardiest of the fancy breeds. You could alternatively have one common (though I would not recomend a even a single comet for a 20-gallon) but it would be nicer for the fish to keep more than one; GF can get lonely on their own. :)

What a thoughtful teacher! Wish mine had been more into fish and less into Maths and French! :lol:

pom pom pearl scale would be your shortest in legth and body, they just look like a golf ball with a small tail very cute. dont get confused with a crown pearl scale as they are different they have long tails and head growth.

I vote for 2 Orandas! You can pick out 2 very pretty fish that'll get good size, Also they are very friendly! The kids would enjoy all the happy wiggling when they go up to the tank for a visit! :yeah:

Let us know what you decide on :exactly

I say, get two little tiny orandas, and watch them grow into beautiful monsters :D that would be awesome! When I was a little kid, we had a class rabbit at one point, at one point a hamster, oh yeah and i remember when we had tadpoles, then released em into the pond! Oh yeah! and butterflies! Ah gosh...the memories! Wish I was a little kiddie still :P not a 15 year old teen :D:P

Ohhh I had butterflies in 2nd grade!! My teacher bought this kit. We all had our own caterpiller and he put it in a cup with a layer of stinky mush food, and then put the special breathable paper on the top so they coulnd't crawl out. We watched them grow, eat and poop every day until they made their caccons! then we took off the tops and put the cups in the huge butterfly box habitiat until they broke out. We had SOO OO much fun with that! When they all hatched and were in their box habitat, we let them go in our courtyard. We learned all about butterflies during our activity as well. It was so much fun...definatley my favortie part of 2nd grade!

ps: my caterpiller/butterfly was the cutest! :)

Guest Abrienna

I can and do welcome all sorts of critters into my classroom. Besides goldfish I also keep African Clawed Frogs, and at the moment one betta. I keep and (ocassionally) breed gerbils. The last couple of years my classroom pets have been gerbils and an African Clawed Frog. I also do a pond unit as the last unit every year. We set up a temporary pond in a large (about 50 gallon) rubbermaid tote. We stock it with tons of water plants, commen/comet goldfish, and snails. This last year we were lucky enough to host a beautiful female green frog (Rana clemitans), so we added an area of land and provided her with a cricket buffet. I've contemplated having a classroom cat, but the issue of allergies has always made it too much of a hassle. We catch and study ladybugs in the spring (and let them go of course). My brother-in-law is an entomologist, so he's provided us with a variety of catipillers and even larval ladybugs. When ever we spy a spider I catch it and let all of the children view it in a special bug microscope that we have before releasing it outdoors. We've had a large variety of animal visitors as well: dogs, snakes, baby goats, lambs, rabbits, etc. The children just love it, and there is so much to be learned...

Abrienna

class rats!! those were my favorite... and the mice... but I always ended up having to keep them, because my teachers never did the work or research to keep them.. :/ (one thought the rat could live off wheat bread :( )

If you want an interesting set up, i would do one fancy goldfish and one of those apple snails that get grape fruit sized :D then the kids could hand feed it things!

Guest rmatalas

In 1st grade, our class pet was a tarantula named Superman. Every week we got to take turns feeding him grass hoppers. Needless to say, I cried every time I had to get within inches of that thing. *shudders* A goldie would be MUCH better!

I think it's a great idea as well. My little boy just finished his year of Head Start and a few months ago I decided to get him a tank of fishies. He loves to watch them swim and always mentions how pretty and cute they are. It also teaches responsibility. He's asking if it's time to feed the fish. I'd go with the fantails. Since they come in a variety of color combinations they are really appealing to the eye. also a black moore would be anice contrast. :yeah:

Archived