Goldfish Novice Needs Advise

Guest alexis421

Guest alexis421

I love Goldfish eversince I can remember. I had several fancy ones before, but all died soon after I got them. :(

Now that I have a 16 month old son who loves fish, I'm thinking of getting a small goldfish to start with. Any advise on which particular goldfish to get (the hardiest of them all), tank size, filter, and all the things I need to get to have a successful aquarium.

I'm thinking of getting the Marineland Eclipse System 12. It already has the bio-wheel filter in there, but I'm not sure if that's sufficient. Any suggestions will be appreciated!!! Thanks in advance!!!! :D

THe hardiest goldfish are the comets and commons.They require alot of room though 15 is the minimum.Or you can get fancies they need atleast 10 gallons each.You also so need to cycle the tank or you can take some muck from another filter that has the established bacteria.It is needed cause the bacteria helps with keeping the tank conditions.You can go to the Cycle of the Tank on the homepage it has the info about it.

Guest alexis421

Thanks for the reply, Gold Ryu!! Do you think I need to add additional filter (e.g. Penguin or other Bio Wheel Filters) on top of the Bio Wheel Filter that will come with the Eclipse System 12(12 gallon) tank? Thanks, again! :)

Hi - I have an Eclipse 12! They are very nice but I would not recommend it for the goldie - just my opinion from my experience. No, it is not enough filtration for a goldfish. I bought mine as an upgrade for my one goldfish (he was in an Eclipse 3! I have learned a lot since then).

Well, the 12 was not really the right shape for him (eclipses are taller rather than longer, goldies, esp. fancies, so better in longer tanks), it met the ten gallon rule but then he grew SO big he did not even fit in the 12! and I could not add any filtration becasue the fitted top did not give me that option. It was less than ideal for him - and it is an expensive little set-up - then he outgrew it in a few months! So, I would advise against it. The lid is a pain in the (bottom)! And I already had to have the lid replaced (it was under warranty though) becasue the light fixture went kaput - the whole lid had to be replaced (it would have cost $55.00 and then shipping)! If you ever wanted to add plants, you could not change the bulb in the lid to anything other than what it comes with. This is not a versatile tank!

For the amount of money you would spend, you would be better buying a 10 gallon tank, a lid that fits it, and one power filter with adequate goldfish filtration - I think for a 10 gallon tank it would be ideal at about 200gph - I think. It would serve you better in the long run. I just do not want you to have to go through what I did! The fish kept getting sick and I had to keep buying more and more equipment (and my hubby got more and more upset). THey REALLY grow fast - and with one fish, you will likely want a second one - at least at some point - (but it would save you a lot of hassle to get two at the same time rahter than having to QT one later, for which you will need another, spare tank! So, if you will really just keep one goldfish, I would get the 10 gallon standard tank. If you think you might want two eventually, I would get the 20 gallon tank and appropriate gear now to save the hassle later.

You could get the ten gallon with one fish now and if you wanted more fish later, upgrade the tank to the size you want so you could then keep the 10 gallon as a spare. Ah, the things we know only in hindsight!

BTW - We are copacetic now - I put killifish in the Eclipse 12 for the cat - he loves it! And the goldfish is in a 20 gallon tank with a super-overkill canister filter (well, it is in the mail). If I had just started out with what I needed, I would not have four fisht tanks now! If you really love goldies, I know you want to get it right because they can live for a very long time! I wish I had known... Hope this helps!

PS - the hardiest ones would be comets and common and they need even more space than the fancies (which space requirements I listed above)! They need about 20 gallons per fish!!! I would leave these for the pond - they can grow to be a foot long! But even your fancies can get that big - 8-10 inches is pretty common. It might take a while to get THAT big but I will tell you that my fish was less than inch when i bought him - in 11.5 months, he has grown to 4.5 inches in body length alone! So, just becasue they look tiny when you get them in that tank - doesn't mean you don't have to obey the 10 gallon rule. They will grow overnight! It is a testament to your fishkeeping skills! :D

Guest alexis421

Thanks, Graham!! I have since decided to get a 25 gallon tank. I'm thinking of getting 2 fancy gf and maybe 1 pleco to eat the algae in the future. BTW, I have a new post already. :D Maybe you can help me with that, too. ;)

Archived