Installing Heater

Roano

Just got my first heater ever; it's a Topfin 50 watt, and am trying to determine how the temp will raise.

These are the instructions for setting it up:

1. Place heater on rim of aquarium and secure with tightening screw. DO NOT PLUG IN HEATER.

2. Wait 15 minutes for the thermostat to adjust itself to the water temperature.

3. Plug in heater.

4. Turn indicator clockwise only until pilot light goes on.

5. Allow heater to operate for one hour. If after one hour the desired temperture is reached and the pilot light out, the heater has been properly yet.

I think the heater is designed to go to about 80 F., but have heard temp should only be raised one degree per hour; my tank is currently at 70 degrees, a twenty gal with two sick (hence the ASAP) orandas; this isn't the correct wattage for this size of tank, but I'm still unsure how quickly the temp will react.

Has anyone used Topfin heaters before and know how quickly the temp raises?

So this heater doesn't have a built-in thermometer that you can set your temperature to?

Ok, after the heater has acclimitised to your tank and you turn it clockwise slowly it will automatically turn itself on (pilot light) once the setting is above the current tank temperature. Without a built-in thermometer there is no way of knowing exactly what that setting is. If you turn slowly enough the setting should only be a few degrees higher than the current temp. Next you need to watch and wait for at least 6 hours to allow even distribution of heat.

Check your tank thermometer and this should now indicate what the heater is set to operate on. If you want to go higher just keep repeating the process until you reach your desired temperature.

It is a fiddly proceedure but just make sure you allow plenty of time between adjustments of the thermometer. The pilot light may go out from time to time as the thermostat switchs off/on but you need to allow several hours for the tank to reach a stable temp.

Hope that makes sense.

I have a similar heater that doesn't have a built in thermometer, as Fishmerised has said, getting them set to the right temperature is a fiddly process. To set mine up I just slowly turned the heater up over a course of a few days until I reached my desired temp.

Okay, thanks guys. I put my thermometer fairly close to it, just to make sure it doesn't get too hot. Again thanks for the fast replys.

Archived