Ich And Fin Rot?

Guest starpetals27

Guest starpetals27

I recently was given a small oranda from a friend, and noticed it arrived to my aquarium (35 gal) with fin rot. I immediately began treatment with Melafix, but on the second day of medication I noticed tiny white dots on the tail of my fish. I have Maracide to take care of the Ich, but I'm not sure which to give to the fish first. I read the post in the treatment section about not mixing fish medications, and have never had a fish with both Ich and finrot, at the same time! I'm worried about what to do, not knowing whether I should stop the finrot medicine to give him the Ich medicine, or continue with the finrot medicine and then start the Ich medicine. Does anyone have any experience with this? Thanks so much!!

Ammonia=0

Nitrites=0

Nitrates=0

Ph=7.6

(The fish has been acting quite normal, eating lots, very active and interested in his environment, so no unusual behaviors to report.)

Hi starpetals27,

I think Ich will kill your fish faster than finrot. I don't know much about meds, having only ever used salt, so here is what I would do:

I would use salt to 0.3% (105 level teaspoons of aquarium salt), raising it gradually over 2 days. Upon reaching 0.3%, you may need to raise the tank temp, depending on room temp. Even up to 28-30C can be tolerated by goldfish.

The salt and temp should knock out the ich, and the salt alone, help with fin-rot.

Do post back soon.

Slugger :)

PS - your tank doesn't appear to be cycled yet so watch your readings. Your ammonia level may start to rise during this process & you want to keep the ammonia & nitrite as low as possible while your fish is healing. (I am saying this 'cause your nitrates are 0 & almost all of the time that's a sign of an uncycled tank - I've only ever seen a poster with a tank at 0 that was cycled but he said it was extremely heavily planted)

:D

Guest starpetals27

Yeah, I was really worried about adding the little guy to the new tank so soon, but its previous owner had decided to get rid of it that day. I was hoping to have a few more weeks without a fish, and I really hope that the new enviroment isn't accelerating these illnesses!!! I quit treating the fin rot with Melafix, due to my uncomfortablity with mixing medications and have begun the salt treatment Slugger recommended. Thank you so all so much!!

Yes, the finrot is secondary to the ich. Wherever possible, always treat the primary cause first which in this case is the ich.

The salt will protect the fish from any nitrIte. Some ammonia binders will take care of the ammonia.

Guest starpetals27

The little guy is looking better already! Thanks everyone! ( I picked up some ammonia binders too, thanks for the tip!)

Archived