New To Snails...

So I bought two "mystery snails" home two days ago, to find 24 hours later that one of them was DOA, and the other keeps going in to caves and hiding...I haven't seen him in over a day now...aren't they supposed to suck on the sides of the glass and eat and stuff...I don't know what to do...I mean for pete sakes he needs Oxygen to survive doesn't he? :crp He hasn't come out once....Very confused!

Are you sure he's not stuck in a cave? I had a castle ornament in with my first snails and they kept getting boxed into it so they couldn't get out. Snails love to hide in stuff but they're not always very smart about where they decide to hide.

Yeah I already had to pull him out of something once...LOL, I didn't know they were so ummmm challenged! Anyhoo, I just went to check again and there he was on the glass...do I need to feed them anything special or do they just eat what they can find...I know you snail lovers are going to lambast me, but I have no idea how to care for them properly,...help!

putting some romaine, or another veggie in there, he would quite enjoy eating that. they really cant subsist on algae alone. algae disks, sinking fish food, almost any veggie, theyll love it all. depending on the type of your snail, he'll probably like it cooked a bit. :) good luck and post some pix@ :D

:) Congrats on your new snails-although I am sorry that you've lost one allready.Snails have specific requirements.They need to be kept in a ph of at least 7.4 or so in order for their shells to stay hard & in good shape.They also need enough room at the top of your tank to be able to stick their syphon out to breathe.If it happens to be a Cana Snail,they love veggies,and don't mind most of them being uncooked.If it's what we call a Brig=they tend to like their food somewhat cooked. Smack is right though.It's a common misconception that these types of Snails should be able to live on the algae in your tank.They can't and will eventually suffer from it. There are alot of posts on their needs and care here,and if you have any other questions that may need answered-"fire away". :lol: Good luck!

Thanks guys...I put some lettuce in there for him last night...he seems to love it! I just ordered three more snails on aqaubid last night and they'll probably be here in about a week...they are soooo pretty...Look!

http://www.aquabid.com/cgi-bin/auction/auc...ails&1122416703

Sooo, I'm learning! I've been spending endless hours trying to figure out what they eat and what their needs are, so I'll make sure to ask away if I find myself stumped again...Thanks all!

uhm...those things will breed like rabbits and eat you outta house and home!! :yikes I would try to avoid small rams if I werer you. theyre what most snail people consider 'pest snails' :unsure:

:rolleyes: Okay,I'm sorry & more in control again.Just couldn't help myself on that one-if you knew how long I've been trying to get RID of them,you'd understand. Most people get confused about Ram'shorns. The name comes from their type of shell & spire.There are Planorbid Ramshorns which are considered Pest Snails by most anyone who has them,and then there are Giant Columbian Ramshorn's,which in fact are Apple Snails. Planorbids can produce while sleeping by theirselves in fact. :ignore Columbian Ramshorn,or Marissa's,need a snail of each sex to produce.I'm not sure if you knew this,but for anyone interested,there you go. And just for the record,Errrika1979,just had both types on sale at Aquabid dirt cheap,and healthy to boot.I think the Planorbid auction is over,but she still has Columbian's for bid. ;)

:lol: Believe me....We at one time or another,have all done something like that.Unfortunately for me,I bought plants and missed their eggs on them,and that's how it all started! Two years later......I'm still trying to get rid of them. :lol: If your pond is a natural one,I myself probably wouldn't introduce them to it.I know that sounds kind of "Drastic" for sure,because chances are some fish/Turtle,etc.,would eat them,but there are a few states having problems with introduced species that aren't natural to the area,so I'd be afraid on that one.Cana Apple Snails are a real problem some places,Common Pleco's are living in fresh water ponds/River's in Florida,and I'm quite sure that the list is longer.......Hey,who knows.....Maybe someone will out bid you :yeah::lol:

LOL....exactly, brigs. they really dont bother live plants, they like em rotten....and cooked :) and the eggs are easy to get rid of when you see em...greyish globs out of the water...on the hood, usually :rolleyes:

Archived