Unhappy Fantail

Lozbug

Ammonia Level 0,

Nitrite Level 0,

Nitrate level 14,

Ph Level 6.8 -

Juewl Rekord 96 tank with built in filter. (approx 23 gals) 2 airstones (1x1", 1x4")

No additives or conditioners bar Aqua safe and occasionally stress coat.

On day 3 of melafix course,

tank accomidates 1 Ryukin 4", fantail 4" & hillstream loach 1".

No new fish.

I feed fish Sinking pellets (progold, tetrafin japan, sometimes brineshrimp & peas).

Unusual findings on the fish frayed fins.

My Fantail 'Atta' has been really unhappy for about 2 weeks now, and the last few days she has gone really down hill. Her fins are getting a bit frayed & torn (on day 3 of melafix now for the fins), she just hangs in the corner of the tank, nose down, fins all droopy, she used to react and move when i went over, now she just looks at me, makes a half hearted attempt to move, but gives up.

I just don't know what else to do, when she first got like this i did a salt treatment (on 9th july) to 0.1% this help a bit, but now she is worse. She had the last of my medi-gold on 9th to 13th july. The last few days she really has taken turn for worse.

I ahve no idea what else to do, any ideas? i am v.worried about her.

have the fins got a white edge to them? if so then it could well be finrot and the melafix wont be doing anything to help. i would stop using that and raise the salt level to .2%. with the way the fish is acting i would say it was bacterial and with the state of the juwel filters they wont be nearly enough to filter the water for you. i would invest in a second filter, probably a fluvel2+ to run along side it but you need to work out that you will need 10 times filtration.

dip her tail in to a 5% salt solution each day to kill the nasties and it will take a long time for new growth to be seen but you are after halting it.

get an anti bacterial med to kill off any germs and hopefully you can knock it on the head.

Hi Lozbug,

If Atta started with head down, tail up then it sounds like internal bacterial infection. The finrot might just be secondary problem when she is sick and her immune system is down. What Sandy suggested is good for the finrot but you probably need to address any internal problem with some haste or it might turn dropsy. Seeing that you are in England, I would suggest your try some Interpet Internal bacterial treatment. Good luck!

Thanks guys, the fins aren't really really bad, thats why i used melafix, not a fin rot med.

Notes taken on board thou, i have some meds for it to.

Archived