Moving With My Goldie

Donya

It's going to be a long haul in the first week of August, 2 full days by car from Virginia to Texas. All my aquatic beasties will be going in a cooler in the air conditioned part of the car so temperature will not be a problem, but I'm worried about waste accumulation. It won't be a problem with my small fish, but goldies are messy and at over 3" I'm not sure what the ammonia buildup could be from mine. I've heard that some people stop feeding for a day or so prior to shipping so that they don't poop as much...is that a good idea or is that too much fishy stress? :(

Guest Chishower

I just moved from VA to Florida, and I fasted for 5 days. The only casualty was not the fault of the trip, they all did fine in bags for 3 days.

I just moved 19 fish from Virginia to Alabama. The trip took 2 days, and it was another day before I could get them in their pond. I used two large coolers. Some of my fish are around 6". I didn't feed them for a couple days before, and none on the trip. I changed a little of the water a couple times. I also added Bag Buddies to the coolers. All my fish made it, and are doing fine! I also took 2 cats, 1 dog, 2 mice, and 2 toads. It was like a traveling Zoo. Good luck with your move, and don't worry your fish will be fine. They are tougher than you think. :D

I have heard there is also something called Ammo-Lock that holds the ammonia for awhile. I have never used it, but maybe you could put a topic in Product Reviews? If others say they have helped with a move, you could fast and use those too.

Good luck with your move, Donya.

hi i went on that link on this thread.. there was another link on that which would explain what bag buddies are.. but im on AOL and iv got parental controls and for some odd reason i was block from that link.. could someone kindly explain what they are for me? as i may be moving soon.. it wont be a big move like across the US but ya know! sorry for the inconvenience!

thanks! :D

edit: forgot a bit!

Thanks orandas*r*my*heart :D ! The cooler was so easy to make, and it worked great for me.

As for what Bag Buddies do. They reduce stress in fish, Promote slim coat, remove chlorine and harmful metals in the water, add beneficial electrolytes, add oxygen to the water, and reduce ammonia buildup. So they are a pretty good thing to have.

Thanks for the advice guys! I have amquel right now that says it removes ammonia...where can you get bag buddies from? If they have to be ordered from online I'm out of luck and will have to stick to amquel.

Next week unfortunately, it's comming up quick. Thanks for the offer, I think I will just see if I can find some at my LFS though :) I'll be having to do everything last minute anyway. If some petstores cary them the small one nearest me probably does...they keep all sorts of odd stuff on hand that a lot of stores don't. If they don't have bag buddies specifically they'll probably have an equivilant. Maybe I can trade them some excess apple snails for some of those or some more amquel :blink:

Thanks orandas*r*my*heart  :D !  The cooler was so easy to make, and it worked great for me.

As for what Bag Buddies do.  They reduce stress in fish, Promote slim coat, remove chlorine and harmful metals in the water, add beneficial electrolytes, add oxygen to the water, and reduce ammonia buildup.  So they are a pretty good thing to have.

367882[/snapback]

oh cool thankyou :D

Archived