Building My Own Pond Filter?

jsrtist

At work we sell tons of difernet pond filters but I have always wanted to just make one myself as it seems simple enough. My pond will be roughly 1100 gallons (give or take as I never trust calculations) and I am planning to put a Tetra 2200 pump on it. I am planning to use a 32 gallon heavy duty Rubbermaid tub as my biofilter?pump the water into it and I plan to fill it with lava rock as my biomedia, lay eggcrate on top of that, and then add some filter pads. As funds permit I will eventually get a UV sterilizer, too.

Im not sure exactly how fancy of a waterfall I will have to start off with, but I wanted the extra large pump so I would have more freedom as far as height and width go. Also this pond will be 12' long and I plan to put the pump at the far end and the waterfall at the other for good circulation. (I am learning from my mistakes last time).

How does this sound? Any thoughts or suggestions? For now I just have a big muddy hole in the backyard but Im excited and eager to get it moving. :)

I suggest both a bottom drain and a skimmer.

I've been told that the lava rock is not good because they say it can house some undesirables? Maybe Tam can expand on this. If that is the way you want to go I see nothing wrong with it. I have lava rock in my bio falls. BUT I have a air pump shooting air into the bio filter so that the bads can't take hold. I would suggest you aerate your bio filter that you are making no matter what filtration media you use. This is the trend that is going on in England and has been going on in Japan for quite some time. From what I've been told they have noticed a lot less desease in their fish. Desolved oxygen is a great thing for your pond.

Here is a link to Dr. Johnsons site on different types of homemade filtration. It even has one on a rubbermaid sort of like what you are thinking of.

http://koivet.com/html/articles/articles_c...ntro=Filtration

another place that you might want to check out is Roark's Experimental Puddle you have to register, but that is free, and there is a lot of good stuff for the DYI ponder.

http://www.click2roark.com/cgi-win/weborde...document=index2

REMEMBER, we still love pictures!!!!!!!!!!

Scott

*grins*

Actually I second the bottom drain and skimmer! Kitchen scrubbies in your bio filter will work just as well and get ehm cheap from like the doller store! :)

Actually lava rock is still good. One trickle tower design is a strawberry pot filled with kitchen scrubbies, mechanical pad is placed over the openings and topped off with lava rock. The water is brought in sort of like a spitter is, but a piece of pvc pipe capped on both ends and holes drilled for it to spray across the top. The pockets allow the water to overflow back into the pond. Another TT is made of large lava rock hot melt glued to make a basket, then a fountain head in the middle held in place with smaller lava rock. Both can be rinsed. Any filter can harbour bad stuff. Especially on pond start up the bad aeromona's can overrun the good bio bugs. Or like our weather being so weird like it has been can be a difference in good vs bad as the start of summer and the pond start up.

Trickle towers are good added filtration, they do make a difference with nitrates. Filtration need not be spendy, good pads and things like scrubbies, beads or bio balls.

I've seen TT's made of those plastic crates & lava rock filled with spray bars. Those can be "decorated" along with the strawberry pots with things like water loving vines to hide or dress it up. :)

Here's a pic of the simple Lava rock TT..... It sits on chimney blocks which also provide fish hidy holes... :) Hard to believe its held together with Hot melt glue!

post-4875-1122101797_thumb.jpg

You should see the amazing wall Lee B's (moderator at KV) hubby built. Its gorgouse! He did the most amazing job.

All cement with inlaid rock and the water overflows back over the surface face back into the pond. Behind that face is a about a foot wide TT. Its filled with all the stuff, spray bar runs full length.

That lava rock tt can be built in many shapes & sizes and eventually it becomes covered with algae. Gives it that I've been here forever look....

Dataguru built one for her vegie filter on her tanks only a smaller one. I'm thinking I may do one for the water fall holding area and the strawberry pots for the waterfall itself.

Archived