Sandy Soil?do I Need Reinforcement?

jsrtist

All these questions are popping up the more I dig. So far I havent uncovered any pipes or lines, luckily! Our soil here is very very soft and sandy. Its great as far as the digging goes because it is so easy to dig out. But Im worried about the sides collapsing in the first rain or something. Do I need any reinforcement to prevent that? If so how would I do it?

Also I am using a thinner grade PVC liner, not the super thick high quality one. I was going to line the hole with all the old carpet we have removed from the house. Do you think that will work? Im trying to figure out a way to attach the carpet in the hole to keep it in place. Like I said, Im new to liner ponds and keep thinking of more things the further I go. :)

Im no expert but ill tell you what i think...

I wouldn't worry to much about the walls callapsing, when you get the

liner in there with the water its going to be very strong (in my experience).

The carpet sounds like a great idea,To attach it maybe you can nail it ?

Im not sure if the ground is too soft for that though.

Alex

If you lived in Idaho I'd say don't worry about the walls callapsing, my soil is so hard you'd think it was cement. My deep end it almost 5 foot deep straight down, not worried. You live in California, your soil is way different.

I grew up in California, we had an above ground pool that my father decided to put in the ground. It was great until it rained. This sucker had the metal siges with the reinforced metal posted all along the outside. He put all of this in the ground. When the rains came the wall collapsed on one side. Maybe it collapsed because there was a little gap between the pool and the dirt hole it was in? I don't know. You live in central Cali so if I were you I'd send an email to the guy that runs http://pondpetsusa.com/ he is a GREAT guy. He posts on the koivet message board. His soil might be close to what you have as I believe he is close to central california? I think he'd know this answer better than me.

One more thing. I know that in Texas many people reinforce their liner ponds with cinder blocks. They dig the whole and then cement cinder bocks in making a nice smooth form inside the whole then put the liner over it. This is what I was thinking you may have to do? If this sounds like something you want to look into I'll try and find the site I saw this on.

Scott

Thanks Scott, I will ask him. You know, it didnt even dawn on me till I started digging. Our last house was very different (where we built the cement pond) and very hard packed but this is so soft Ive dug out almost the entire pond, by myself, in just 3 evenings! (Yes, Im going to be sore in the morning).

I like the cinderblock idea, though, that sounds much safer and I think I might like to try that. Would I still need to put the carpet in between that and the liner do you think?

JS,

IMHO, the cinder block is a yes! Clay soil is also one that needs reinforced. I saw several threads this year with ponds collapsing from no reinforcment and excess in rains.....

What a mess those people had. Another thing is moles tunnling..... they can reek havoc along edges also.

yes you'll want to use the carpet. It's just to keep the pond liner from rubbing against something that may cause a hole. I'll look for the site that showed pictures of using cinder blocks. There was one in Oklahoma and some in Texas. Looked like a great idea to me as well.

Scott

I used some old chimney bricks the previouse owners had lying around here on mine. I've that nasty clay here. But at least they prevent the moles from undermineing the edges,lol!

Moles are a right royal pain here...... <_<

Check some of the building threads at KV also, I seem to recall seeing some with cinder block edges there also.....

So, Jen, you started digging already, hm? I wonder when that is gonna come up... :lol:

Great advice from everybody above. Just a word of warning about PondPetsUSA - if I remember right from KV, he is the guy who built an enormous pond in his back yard, which took him a very loooong time. Before you know it, you wonna have his pond as well. I know I would want to... :rofl:heart

EVERYONE wants his pond Andrea. He only posted all of those pic so he could be the envy of the koi community world wide lol he's lucky that someone can't sneak in his back yard and take off with it. If it were possible it'd be GONE! lol

Scott

ROFL Andrea, before I had the dog, I had plans to just turn the whole backyard into a pond? but now that I have her she needs space too. And I was mostly limited by money, of course, so I compromised down to 1100 gallons. (Also Im being sneaky and not going by city rules to get a permit? shh).

We luckily dont have moles here! There are gophers and ground squirrels in the country but not here in the city, so one less thing to worry about. I will check out the building links because I cant quite picture how to secure the bricks to one another?do you cement them? Duh, sorry if thats a dumb question. Our last pond was built like a pool with the reinforcement bars and then cement and everything. Silly me thought the liner would be the easier way to go!

From what I remember, Jen, it gets reinforced with concrete, and IF you go bigger, you can add steel bars. I kind of like the straight down ponds a lot more than the ones that slope gratually - its safer for fish when there are a lot of predators around who don't like the deeper water at the edge.

Scott and Tamianth, has the guy finished is pond finally? I haven't been back in so long to look it up, but I used to go there every few weeks to see how much further he got done with the finishing. The last I remember was the kind of sitting area around the pond.

Wowi!! :thud What a work of art it turned out to be! I never imagined it looking like that when I saw pictures of the pond walls caving in after a rain storm....

I gotta go back and read up on it, although the thread must be filling 100 pages or so by now?!? :lol:

Wow that is an amazing pond!! Of course mine will look nothing like that, LOL!

I am pretty much done with carving out the edges, I just have to smooth it out and dig down deeper. Then I will have to figure out how much cinder block I will need. Ugh if only my budget were bigger I would really go all out. This is really a huge compromise but I am trying to make do with it. Now it looks like I will be getting two more koi (in addition to the two I have already) because my mom wants to get rid of her pond but doesnt want to get rid of the koi (we have had them a long time and we're attached). They originally wanted me to take ALL the fish but I just cant.

Anyway even though its not even built its already almost too small!! My friends at work told me to just build a bigger pond. :rolleyes:

I will post pics in a day or so of the progress. I have dug the whole thing out by hand (although Rylee ended up helping a bit, too, unbeknownst to me!) and am quite proud of it. :)

Andrea,

We have a new server now, so it might take some looking. The old one was hacked into badly just before koko's was! :( The hackers ping bombed it on top of that!

Doc J went out and bought a new server though, so there's been a few glitch's cropped here and there. Just a heads up as old posts have been a problem area.

That is a lovely pond, I somehow must have missed the pics being posted. I generally like to take a look at ponds, gives one lots of idea's.... :D

Oh, my idea is here is we need to split the time we have this one 4 ways, of course the packing up and moving it is going to be the pits, so looks like a yearly basis thing......

:rofl

Yeah, I have been trying to look up the older pics of the thread, but all i got was red X's. That sucks that Doc J also got hacked - makes me wonder who has too much time on his/her hands. Did he ever find out who he had to thank for all that mess?

Yup, but said he wasn't going to press charges, it wasn't worth it.... :(

It was awful for awhile after that, the server was boggy and kicked out every few day's.. <_<

The transfer over didn't go 100% either, sort of still working the bugs out! But its so much nicer, moves faster for sure! :)

Didn't say Andrea, this was month's back and I still don't have a clue as to who! I wasn't even a TKM at the time it all happened. :blink: It just seemed all weird. :( Then it happend here too and I heard some other high end Koi sights where hacked as well....... could have been a fish hater or just one of those folks who just like to have fun hurting folks! :(

But yeah, I still get a red x mark on the post for the reply with quote button. Some avatars disapeared on some of the folks too! I keep hopeing all the little bugs & glitch's will get worked out!

Speaking of, some lurker over at KV had the nerve to pinch my avie for his own! :yikes

I quess asking nicely for removal from his profile was outa the question also.. I ended up going in and removing it myself! Which made me doubly unhappy..

On the other hand, it was a compliment considering how many unique avies are about! Captk can feel complimented as well, its one of his fish and he made it for me!

Considering changing it though to a witch on a broom with spike heeled hipwaders......

:rofl

:tomuch: Oh, no, Kathy, you don't wonna be connected with a witch on a modern broom! :rofl3

Henry has quite some talent when it comes to making avatars - is it the same you are having here?

Yup! Its also one of his koi! I have not been able to get a nice photo to do one of my own Koi. Maybe down the road.

Henry is good with the animation! I've only dabbled in it (animation), can do some graphics myself. I can do the glitter effect anyway,lol!

I have PSP 7 & animation shop. Anytime you or Koko need something (medals, awards etc) give me a shout, see what I can do for ya btw! :D I like making things... :rofl

Archived