Electricity Went Out

akk0415

Last night our electricity went out for 45 minutes. My fish looked horrible within minutes and took all night to recover after it came back on. I guess I need a battery powered pump. Is it normal for them to go downhill so fast? I kept stirring the water every 5 minutes but it did no good from what I could tell.

I don't know why they look bad so quickly. I have accidently left my filter off for 9 hours without any problems. Before I turned it back on I dosed the tank with Prime in case of a nitrIte spike in the filter but all was well. The fish didn't seem to mind.

mine get very upset when the bubbles go off. other then giving me dirty looks, they seem just fine. :) strange they went downhill SO fast....i know they slow down, but i dint know it happened that fast...strange :blink:

Actually, I am treating her for gill flukes. Maybe that had a lot to do with it. I was shocked at how quickly it happened. I kept thinking that people do keep them in bowls without an air pump and they live for a long time but she looked horrible. She was iterally sitting with her fins clamped.

Mine have always been ok during power outages, but I understand when you say "I kept thinking that people do keep them in bowls without an air pump and they live for a long time but she looked horrible" because before I had an extra tank for quarentine and hospital, I used a bowl once and the fish was very much in distress very quickly and looking like it couldn't breathe. I had to get a rubbermaid emptied and ready fast, added an airstone in and he perked right up. I honestly don't know after that how people are even able to keep them in bowls!?

Maybe because of the temp.  :idont   I imagine that in Texas is pretty hot right now.

366146[/snapback]

Good point. Without circulation and airation the oxygen levels would be very low in hot weather. Combine that with dysfunctional gills due to the flukes and that could very well explain it.

Definitely invest in a battery powered airpump. I have them for my 3 main tanks and they are only about $12 each at vvvv. There are different brands but I bought the ones by PennPlax. They run on D batteries which I keep around in the case of the power outage. This time of year in Central California, there are a lot of outages because everyone is running the AC at the same time.

Jeepers, this thread must have jinxed me or it's just a weird coincidence.

Around lunchtime I realised that one filter had been off since last night, about 16hrs. I nuked the filter with Prime and turned it back on, all is fine.

I just went to turn the tank lights on, it's late afternoon and found another tank filter had been left off - about 20hrs !!!! The water appeared a bit cloudy, once again nuked the filter with Prime before restarting the filter - the fish are fine.

edit: I turn the filter off before feeding so the flakes don't get sucked into the filter. I usually turn the filter back on after half an hour to an hour. I was very tired last night and forgot.

That's the plan. Battery powered pumps. It was HOT in our house. The tank already sits at 80 degrees and there is no fighting it. I use a 20 gallon pump for a 10 gallon tank for that reason. I was just in awe of her nearly instantaneous decline. I do think gill flukes are the explanation. I honestly hadn't thought of the temps influence on oxygenation. Very good point.

Guest labrat99

Hi Akk,

If she's already sick and you are treating her that could indeed be it.

On the other hand...

There might not have really been a problem. I've seen this behavior before - when the electricity is cut off and they suddenly have no lights, air bubbles, moving water, or noise from all of that, they'll just stop and sit on the bottom. Maybe the the sudden change in environment confuses them?

Take care.

Labrat

Ditto everyone! Yeah, heat, no O2, and gill flukes would make anyone feel pretty rotten, pretty fast! Good luck with treatment - if only the power company would do their part... :crp

We lose power a lot here so I am going to invest in some battery powered back up air pumps - they have some that automatically switch on as soon as there is no electrical current - Fishmerized! :D (JK) (I am glad everyone was fine)!

Like so:

http://www.aquariumguys.com/silentairpump.html

Archived