Ph Question

Marco

hello all~

im just wondering what causes the water to be acidic and alkaline. say when your changing your water, if you put alittle more water condition or the aquarium salt needed from the label, will the water go towards acidic or alkaline..would that be a possibility? if not then what are the causes of the water becoming acidic and alkaline?

Hi,

It's been a long time since I studied chemistry, so I can't remember much.

From recent reading, I recall that pH is a measure of free hydrogen ions in the water, so I'd imagine that any chemical that binds or releases hydrogen ions will affect pH. There is no way I can remember the chemical equations.

Hold on....shouldn't you be studying chemistry at school? ;)

Slugger :D

ummm hehe i sorta did study chemistry at school but it was like the basic stuff on how to determine the PH of substances... i havent gone to the stage where i learn about hydrogen ions yet..but i hope i will soon :)

Regular salt (sodium chloride) won't affect pH.

Most water conditioners don't affect pH unless they have an ingredient that buffers, or if they use up buffers (e.g. amquel).

If your tap water isn't well buffered (KH > 7dh) your pH will tend to drop over time because your biofilter releases acids (hydrogen ions) as it converts ammonia to nirtrAte. It also uses up bicarbonates in that process. Bicarbonates are the usual buffer in our tanks. If you have more bicarbonates, the water is more alkaline (cuz they buffer the acids and keep them from dropping pH).

There is some good reading on it linked from the pH, KH, GH and biofiltration section here:

http://dataguru.org/misc/aquarium/FishInfo.html#WaterQuality

Archived