Betta Diet

Kissy

They are ominvores their food has wheat and other grains in it plus they eat insects so they are ominvores. :D

Okay :)

So what are some things besides live foods I can supplement my betta's diet with? So far its only freeze-dried bloodworms and hikari pellets.

Once a fruit fly got into his tank...he tried to eat it but it escaped to the surface. He was watching that thing like a cat at a window watching a birdie :D

carnivores i thought. they eat bug matter... so insectavourves?

366004[/snapback]

They are infact carnivores, you find the veggtable and wheat matter in Hikari and other brand foods because these are just massed produced with the essential vitamins, fiber, protein and carbs easily accesible from veggtables. In the wild and (if from a good breeder) when raised in captivity, they are fed various live foods. Brine shrimp, blood/tubifex/black worms, mysis shrimp and various flies/grubs are the "ideal" betta diets which are subsituted with some form of dried suplement containing minerals, vitamins and any forms of nurishment the live foods lack.

While the pellets and flakes are good for them and they can survive on them, I feel they should not be fed soley on these foods if you strive for the best colour and activity level. This is just my expressed opinon.

Is there anything else I can feed mine besides the live foods? I don't really want to deal with wiggly things, but the real problem is where to keep them o_O

frozen foods are a treat mine like. some people are opposed to them, but I try to buy good brands (have had luck with the Hikari and the San Fransisco bay brand, but Im only an hour from san fransisco!) And I also ask the people when their frozen food shipment is, and try to buy close to there.. less defrosting and re-freezing then the doors are opened! :)

Hmm okay some questions about frozen foods.

Could I feed them to goldfish, tetras and cories? Why would people be opposed to them? What kinds of frozen foods are best? I don't want to buy like beef heart or anything..thats the only thing I can remember that they keep frozen (yuck)

yes, you can feed frozen foods to just about any fish (except goldfish crackers, they just dont appreciat it :P )

Some people worry about bacteria in frozen foods, but I have yet to have problems, and I have to feed my gobies frozen, and have been for over a year. Just treat it like human food, as in, not to much freezing, defrosting and re-freezing, dont leave it out, etc. I defrost only as much as I need in a bit of warm, de-chlorinated water. :)

I mostly feed bloodworms and brine shrimp to my babies, and for the goldies and cories, I get whats called a "variety pack", it had some blood worm cubes, brineshrimp cubes, and vegi cubes! they love them, :) my goldies go nuts for frozen, and it makes their colors awsome! Same for everyone else though! my Jullii Cory swims up and "catches" brineshrimp :D

Aww that's cute! When I've everyone all settled in I'm going to have to try that :) This "variety pack"...is it a brand or in general? It sounds yummy :D

Goldfish crackers aren't really that fun to keep..they just float and get soggy. Those neat colored ones are making me want to try again tho!!! :D

the variety packs i have seen are usually by san francisco bay brand or sallys... (i think both companies are the same?)

theres also a "Goldfish" frozen pack!

http://www.sfbb.com/frozen.asp#

I cant seem to find the "Fish Gum Drops" ont heir page, but thats what i usually buy.. their little cubes, not so big

Archived