Canister Filters?

fondoo

i currently own a 20gal tank with a bio-wheel 200 power filter. i've been reading up on some canister filters with UV light. just recently my ryukins and black moor got really sick from ich. i've been treating them with aquarium salt. i want to prevent this from happening again. i want to remove all parasites. i've been lookin into canister filters w/ UV filters. are they worth buying? is it expensive replacing the filter media's? are they high maintence? can someone please fill me in with the info??

I do not know of any specific cannisters that come with a built in UV light, but you can attach a UV unit in line with your cannister. For a small tank like a 20 gallon, you will not need much - and to buy a cannister to run the UV seems a bit expensive and overkill. I gess a lot depends on what you can find.

The UV is wonderful and can be invaluable for your fish. With proper setting, it would eliminate or dramatically reduce the swarmers from the ich in your tank. I cannot sing the praises of the UV enough.

What if you got a smaller UV unit with just a power head to hang over the back of your tank? An adjustable power head dedicated to the UV would be much easier maintainence and far less parts to break. Probably cheaper, too.

Another alternative is GoldFish Connection's Clarifier - another "stand alone" type UV unit - in a small tank, if you turn the power head to the slowest setting, it does a bang-up job of killing free swimming parasites and bacteria and such, as well as free algae. It is a bit more expensive than some of the others, but very well constructed and requires no "building". It is complete.

If you were run a UV unit from a cannister unit, you need to make sure that the flow rate is adjustable - for you need at least 5-7 seconds of dwell time under the UV light to achieve the proper kill of parasites in the water. Adjustable cannisters may be a bit expensive....

daryl: what kind of canister do you recommend? i was checking the dr.foster & smith catalog. do you think HOT magnum series are worth buying? what media do i need to buy? how often do i need to change the media's??

Archived