Mary's Still Belly-up At Bottom, Not Swimming,

Guest danxxx

Guest danxxx

Hi, Mary's even worse now (see my many previous posts). Haven't seen her swim at all today. I'm pretty sure now she's got some kind of tummy infection as well as passing reabsorbed eggs.

None of my local aquarium shops have medicated food. One suggested something called Myxazin. Does anyone know about this?

I'd been changing out the water with aquarium salt so I could use Epsom instead, but don't know now if I ought to. Will Epsom be bad if she does indeed have an infection?

Thanks for all the help up til now. I know there are a lot of other people needing advice. But if anyone has another couple minutes for Mary, I'm sure she'd appreciate it. If not I understand. To be honest I don't know if anything can save her now.

Hate this. Have worked so hard to take care of her but feel guilty anyway. :cry1

Hi Dan.

I dont know what your fish requires. If its antibartic food, which you cant get in the UK. eg. medigold. Then I have some. I can send you some pellets if you or anyone thinks it might be what your fish needs.

email me if you would like me to post some to you. Fish dont get the desired medication in this country. Im in the UK btw.

The epsoms should help with her absorbing the eggs. It shouldn't hurt her if your diagnosis is off alittle.

At this point you may have to make her as comfortable as possible and then wait. It is so hard to do, I know.

Guest danxxx

Hello Y'all. I give you my deepest thanks for all the help you've given me (and your patience with all my posts). Special thanks to LaurieP, Fishmerised, Ranchugirl, Sandy, Fantail, Florissa, FishRPets, and hope I didn't miss anyone. But I'm sad to tell you Mary went to meet her maker last night. I watched her all evening, and she was so clearly suffering, belly-up, completely unable to swim, gasping, twitching and beginning to curl up, that I knew I had to do mercy killing. I made it as peaceful and dignified as possible, and prayed for her soul (and I don't pray much). Was among the hardest things I've ever done. My wife and I both cried. I know I did the best I knew how, but can't shake the horrible, guilty feeling that I took this gorgeous, sweet creature home and despite all my hard work and good intentions, wound up murdering her. I'm gutted. Well, don't think I'm going to get a new fish anytime soon, but when (if) I do, would it be Ok if I write for advice on cleaning the tank, etc, to make it safe to start fresh? A million thanks again. Mary's funeral is Sunday. Bye now. xxxDan.

My deepest sympathy dan. RIP mary.

My heart really goes out to you and your wife. I totally understand the tears over your fish. I wept buckets when my dear little lipstick died. I couldnt save her. I too have had to put a fish out of her misery. Very distressing. Sadly fish when they are sick seem to suffer a long lingering death, which give us no choice but to try our best to relieve them of their suffering. Lipstick was a friend and I imagine Mary was like a friend to you.

Goodluck with her funeral, and please let us know how it went, and how you are.

yes indeed post back anytime. People here are always willing to listen and help.

Once again I am so sorry.

Archived