Gentian Violet For Fin Rot

akk0415

Thanks guys. I read it in several places but I read about iodine as well and no one here has good results with that. So, I will wait. If it nears his body within 5 mm, all bets are off. I will try anything, but until then I will ride this wave and see where it takes us. He has improved a little so hopefully it will continue. It is amazing to me that weeks of healing can be undone in just a few hours without any meds in the water.

if its really bad... perhaps someone has a link on operating? I have heard that you can cut the worse off... But i wouldnt without the right instructions.. which i cant find right now....

also check out bettatalk.com, she has some good info

akk0415-

I so get where you are coming from - I'd check out Bubba's tank in the AM be like lookin' good - healing nicely & come home from work to AAACK where did all of the fin go. Shredded to bits. Don't give up hope. Bubba was with us for over a year battling that rot (& when he died he had stumpy fins but it wasn't the rot that killed him!)

*BIG HUGS* Jenn

Thanks Jenn. It just breaks my heart that Bubba is gone. I really think that all this thought and effort bonds us even closer to them. I am so sorry you lost him.

I don't think I will ever beat this. I would just love to able to take the meds out. Aren't they carcinogenic? I know Bifuran is....

Thanks for the encouragement. This has to more than just a bacterial infection...

I dunno but I did call the Maracyn people (I used to work for Urologists & sometimes people are put on antibiotics for years -you have to weight risk vs benefit & in some cases the risk of the infection (or the reality of it) outweighs the risk of any side effects of the meds). Anyway - they were in agreement that I could do more than 1 cycle as long as I continued to see improvement. I also noticed that the woman on Betttatalk recommended at least a month of antibiotics. It did work (although his fins were always very fragile & never did grow back properly).

I got so that I could tell if I just needed better water or meds & if I had performed a too large or too frequent water change. But that initial infection was a doozy!!!

*fingers & toes crossed for you*

Guest Chishower

Can't you do almond leaves? I am curious now, I am gonna go try to dig up some information on the violet and the almond. I will tell you what I find.

Guest Chishower

Ok, this is what I found.

for bettas: salt the water with 1/2 teaspoon per gallon. I think thats optional. Apply topically with a q-tip twice a day with daily water changes for three days. You can get it from your pharmasist, its used to treat mouth fungus in babies or something.

I will keep looking for you.

That's exactly right. My sister had thrush as a baby and mom used gentian violet. It is used for fungal infections such as yeast. The thing that is keeping me from it is the fact that Maracyn definitely makes a difference... Does maracyn work on fungal infections? If not then I think gentian violet is not a solution. I feel so ignorant. I have too much to learn.

Guest Chishower

The site said they used it on fin rot. *shrugs* If he doesn't get better, It might be worth a shot. Who knows? It could work.

I will check to see if Maracyn works on fungal stuff.

As Maracyn is an antibiotic it will not (sadly) work on any yeast. (In fact in humans many people get yeast infections from antibiotics due to their killing off of the bacteria we do need. I have no idea if the same is true in fish but I do know that fish can develope resistance just like people)

Hope this helps! :D

That's right! I don't know if this is yeast persay but maybe it is fungal. The fact that maracyn can hold it off though makes me think it's not. I did it anyway though. I did it because I noticed a water mold in his tank so I needed to rinse the whole thing out regardless. I am praying that I didn't kill my bio bugs. I had been avoiding large water changes because anything big means half his tail goes all at once. He is doing fine with the salt. Swabbing was more difficult than I expected. Not because he was jumping but because everything sticks to itself. This morning, there was still redness but nothing had advanced. That's a positive sign after a water change. I also started him on medigold. I know it's for goldfish but I am out of ideas here. When you crush it the pieces are the same as betta bites. I hope I am not poisoning him but he seems perky so far. I would just love to have him off of maracyn for good. Wish us luck!

akk0415 - I have only one suggestion (& it's 'cause I read in the other thread how you were dissolving the tablet & then using the same medicated water over a period of days)

I got so frustrated after a while that I called the MAracyn people and asked if this decreases the efficicacy of the meds (how well they will work) "cause I was doing the same thing & getting similar results. THey said it does! It has no agents in it to maintain the meds & so they deterioriate over time. Their suggestion (which is the same as I posted in Kissy's thread) was to crush the tablet & then use the amount needed each day for the size tank you have (I have 2.5 gal so I treated for 2 gal. ie I divided each crushed tablet into 5 piles & put a pile into the filter outflow per day. My betta even ate some of the meds (which I can only see as a good thing).

I did have better results with this method. I think it was because the strength of the antibiotic was the same over time.

Post back if you need more detail/I am not making sense! :D Jenn

edit: I sooo remember swabbing. It was so difficult to only get it on the parts I wanted to! Isn't it amazing how it all becomes one when you remove the fish from the water??? (Plus I was using iodine which is fatal if gotten into the gills so I was pretty anxious as I remember it! I'm glad it went well for you!)

Jenn you are a godsend! I will check to see if you posted on kissy's thread the same info. If not I will pass it along.

The gentian violet seems to have stopped it but I see no healing. The instructions were 2 times a day. I have done it 3 times and I am done. Last night he got really pale afterwards and one fin didn't work for a bit. I was literally sick about it. But he recovered quickly. I just don't ever want to see him like that and feel so responsible ever again.

If I go back to the maracyns maybe they will work better this time, thanks to your research and experience. Not sure where we'd be without you!

:heart:hug

Awww - that's so sweet! I just wish I hadn't gotten all of this knowledge due to a monster case of the stuff!

When I did my swab (& iodine is awfully hard on the fins - it rotted quite a decent portion of fin away before it stopped). It did take a few days to see improvement. I was told to keep antibiotics in the water during the healing phase as the fish is more susceptible to the bacteria (due to the stress as well as the actual damamge the chemical does to the fin while it kills off the rot)

I hope your little guy gets better soonest!!! :D

Boy, me too. I wouldn't wish this on my worst enemy. I know it was hard for you.

Well, I did a 50% water change after 2 days of no meds, just salt and gentian violet and we are back to our old ways. He started again but it looked better this morning so I crushed the tablets like you suggested and I felt like a coke addict separating them into sections. I was praying my husband didn't walk in and make me explain. :rolleyes: But, it seems slower not so urgent. Yes there was some rot but it was mm lost not half his tail. I am hoping the medigold is doing this. I would rather do the oral antibiotics than put all that junk in the water. I loved being able to see him so much. I hope kissy is having some luck as well.

I too felt that way when I was "cutting the lines" of meds! :rofl

PS - When mine was really bad I too fed oral antibiotics. I had tetrafin medicated flakes (It was all he would eat. He wouldn't eat anything that didn't float! Funny though - Pat wouldn't touch the flakes. <_< ) They're tetracycline based. They too seemed to help along with the meds in the water. I always fed them for a min of 7 days - even if things got better in the meantime or I was done medicating the tank before that. :D

I tried jungle medicated food but saw no improvement. I am certain we are never going to kick this, I just want to find something that I can count on that doesn't stress him too much to keep it away from his body. I think I am over the panic at this point.

"cutting the lines" did feel weird. :lol:

Thanks for asking. Good for the moment but we are back to keeping maracyns in 24/7. It's the only thing that works without swabs. I don't want to do any more swabs. Thinking I broke his fin about killed me. So, I might be giving him cancer or God knows what else but at least he will die without rotting to death... I hope anyway.

He is happy as a clam and LOVES to flare at me and he attacks his poop when I siphon so I know he feels good. I guess that's all that matters.

I just love your little guys. That new one especially is a beauty. Amazing!

I'm with you on the swabs - I hated doing them (waay too stressful for all of us involved - me & my fish :blink: )

Anyway - I'm glad he's doing better - hopefully at the full strength you 'll see a more lasting improvement!!!

Bubba always swam around like a nut - even when it looked like he should be serioulsy limping in pain. He looked happy (but his FINS! Aargh) Here's a pic with some healing (believe it or not) . I'll post another of what he looked like in the beginning

*fingers crossed for you* :D Jenn

post-3143-1123111877_thumb.jpg

Archived