Thinking It's Gill Flukes - Opinions Please

akk0415

Here is what I am seeing... yawning 4 to 5 times in any 20 minute period, bottom sitting, and she seems just jumpy. With the exception of jumpiness this has been something I have observed over the last 3 days to a week. She is not active at all except when she frantically swims for a moment in reaction to a movement by me. Her diet is fine. She is happy to see food.

Ammonia - 0

Nitrite- 0

Nitrate - 5

Ph-7.8 out of tap also 7.8

The tank is a 10 gallon and has been running 4 months. I recently removed the gravel and replaced it with some river rock. Put plants in pots.

She has an apple snail, a trap door snail and an oto cat for tank mates.

There are also faint (so faint I am not sure if they are there) white spots on one side of her. They don't seem fluffy and are not evenly shaped. I keep waiting for them to appear or disappear.

Should I be buying some prazi? Or do the patches indicate the behavior is due to something else?

Do the white spots look like specks of salt? If so, that sounds like Ich. Before dumping meds in, I would see how she responds to a salt treatment. Salt cures most parasites (it won't cure Flukes so if that ends up being it, you will need meds but I would still try salt first).

I would bring your water up to a 0.3% solution. To do this, you need to add 1 tsp per US gallon. Do not pour it directly into your tank...let it dissolve in tank water and then pour that into the tank. Then 12 hours later, add another 1 tsp per US gallon. 12 hours later, add another 1 tsp per gallon. Each 12 hour period, you are increasing your salt content by 0.1%. You can't add it all at once...too shocking for the fish.

Note I say US gallons...I see you are using litres for your tank so I'm not sure where you are from...I have heard UK gallons are different than US gallons.

Be sure to buy Aquarium salt...do not use iodized salt, marine salt, epsom salt etc. You can buy the Aquarium salt at the pet store.

Keep an eye on your water changes...if it is still a new tank, it can still be unstable...test daily. If your levels get off, do partial water changes (20-30%). If you remove water, you need to add back in salt what you take out. So if you take out 10 gallons of water, you need to add 10 tsps of salt back in. Keep the salt in for 14 days. After 14 days, you can do water changes without replacing the salt and the salt will slowly get removed from the water.

Definitely not ich. These patches are barely visible smears. I have treated with salt before (.3%) so I am thinking this may be flukes since they are resistant. The tank seems to be rock steady on the cycle. Nothing moves... ever. I test weekly and at times like this when I am concerned. But it is stable.

I was thinking about treating with the prazi anyway since I have 2 new fish in quarantine elsewhere that I am putting through totthless's parasite eradication regime. I never did that with this fish.

Hi - I just wanted to tell you that Prazi can't hurt. If you are considering using a mixed med treatment, then I would wait until you hear from one of the experts (e.g. Dimlin can have toxicity for fish at small doses but it needs only be used if the specific parasites are present on your fish, and those particular parasites are visible to the eye). Prazi paralyzes the muscualture in the fluke, it falls off the host, and then dies becasue it cannot live without a host.

Although Prazi can't hurt you fish, I would PM the parasite pro and ask him his recommendation. I hooe the little guy starts feeling better! :)

Thanks Graham. I thought Dimilin was for anchor worm? I think I will hit the Prazi first. I will have to move my snails just in case. I hope this helps. There's nothing visible and I am leary of scrapings. Just not that confident yet. If I get desparate I will though.

Yeah, Dimlin is for anchor worms but I was trying to make the point that some meds won't harm the fish, like Prazi - so go ahead, try it! Because it can't really harm your fish. But, make sure you are not using a product that has multiple medications in it, like the Jungle one, because it contains Prazi and Dimlin - so I would want to be a lot more sure before dosing. Pure Prazi is safe. I hope your fish gets better soon! :heart

I fought a white tufty problem on one of my fish for literally months.... it came back with him when he was loaned out and placed in a less than ideal pond....

I identified at least two nasty, unusual parasties (Epistylis and Costia, both) on him, as well as flukes. An additional whitish "haze" that seemed to be on his fins and sides was never specifically identified, however. It never "grew" into anything more specific - seemed to be almost moving or changing positions on fins, sides and head of the fish.

After medications erradicated all signs of the Epistylis, Costia, and the Prazi did a number on the flukes, I ended up dipping him in a salt dip - every day for a few days, then every 2 days, finally every 3 days. After 6 weeks of dips, I went to weekly dips. For approximately 3 weeks, now, I have seen no sign of the whitish haze or any other parasite (Besides more flukes, possibly) on this fish.

If your whitish haze does not respond to other treatments, you might has some luck with constistant, determined salt dips. It truly is amazing just what salt will do....

I swear those flukes are just like cockroaches, though. You could drop a nuclear bomb on them and they would happily multiply anyway! <_<

The white splotches are gone so maybe they were small scrapes from the flashing. The scales are intact though so it is strange. I know she had one well defined scratch on the opposite side from them that has healed as well.

I sure hope I don't have to go through all that. I'll do anything for my girl, but I would rather not do daily dips. Sounds hard on all involved.

I am hoping the prazi works and the patches are gone for good.

Archived