What Easy Maintainence Fish Could Be Put In A 3.5g

lillypetal

What easy maintainence fish could be put in a 3.5gal tank? When my goldies finally move out of their, it would be a shame to not replace it with anything, especially since i paid ?45 for the rena preety tank.

Suggestions please :)

no 3.5gal two goldies, please, yes I know trying to upgrade to a 20gall, but they really do not look cramped and trust me the water is pristine, i change it every day, and they are happy so far thanx to god disease free fishies :) Lol no froggies..I dont want a froggie by my bed :P

Ditto = Betta like being by themselves. Mine is in with two African frogs and they seemt o be doing fine - although I suspect that the Betta would love it is they were gon :D e and vice versa!

3.5 is a palace for a Betta! You could get some of those other little fish but why all the hassle cleaning up after more than one fish - one regal betta would be superb!

(I have a 3.5 Eclipse for the same reason - I had no idea! So, GN has bustedout of two tanks before he got his 20 gallon - now all the tanks are full! THe imoprtant thing is that you were smart enough to wind up here and get them sorted out - I still cringe when I think I put him in that dinky tank... but we all have to learn! And the more we learn, the more fish we can hace because we know what we are doing)!

oh okay, are they REALLY easy maintenence, and im i pushing it putting them in a small tank, and what about feeding and filters, aeration and disease and water changes, lol, sorry just wondering

I agree, a betta is the way to go. And no, he won't be lonely...he would actually be very happy. The generally don't make good tankmates unless the betta's tempermant is very mild and the other fish don't have long, flowy fins. But as posted above, you DON'T keep bettas with other bettas. The are beautiful fish and we have 3 of them and they all have their own tank. :)

Oh and you are right, definetly keep something in it....no tank should go to waste!! :rofl

and what about feeding and filters, aeration and disease and water changes, lol, sorry just wondering

I feed mine 2 times a day with the little betta bites (2-3 at a time), I change the water every week as a rule, I have no aeration as bettas don't like alot of water movement and they are air breathers anyway. I also don't filter mine, but some do, it's up to you. Just make sure to keep the water good. As far as diseases, yes they can get sick sometimes, but the typical problem seems to be mostly finrot. They are usually very easy fish to keep. Check out the betta forum, that will give you a good headstart and maybe help you decide if that is the kind of fish you want to keep. :)

I assume your little tank came with a filter? Other than that, Bettas don't need any special care - you can put live plants if you like but it is not necessary. Maybe put some tall plants since they like to hide in them in their natural habitat (rice paddies in Thailand). THey eat Betta food (Hikari has a good one but most pet stores carry Betta food) or just plain bloodworms, brine shrimp, etc if you already have that around the house. THey have something called a labyrinthine organ which allows them to breathe air so no extra air is required. The tank must have a lid (but it sounds like yours does )- they like to jump!

Besides common-sense tank maintenance, there is nothing special you have to do to care for a Betta. Clean the gravel and change the water, check the params - no different than you do with your goldies - but less work since the tank is smaller.

When are you getting one?! :rofl THey can live for 3-5 years! Just, never put them with another Betta - and remember to visit the Betta section at Kokos!

yay for bettas :) Tetras won't do well because they need to be in a school to be happy, and then that won't be enough space. Bettas are nice tho! I have one in a three gallon kritter keeper and I do a 100% water change every 5 days or so because my high pH and temp make the ammonia more deadly, and cuz in one week almost a gallon evaporates from the betta house anyways :) Bettas really love the extra space and are pretty active when they have it. Mine won't have it any other way. He puts up such fight when I put him in a cup for a waterchange lol

Bettas are definately the easiest thing to keep in water...besides flowers :D

lol cool, thanx guys, im undecided yet whether to get one, and I certainly havent seen one in my local maidenhead aquatics, but ill keep an eye out, i have to convince my parents too :P which is another issue :P hahah... thanku everyone :)

Just to add to this....My husband bought a 1Gal aqua view plus to use a QT tank for my moor the other night. It says on the box "perfect for bettas" It comes with air pump. air line tubing, hooded light fixture, undergravel filter system. worked good for me, I was gonna return it but I think I will keep it around for either a QT tank or betta? It was cheap too, 11 bucks at Wally world.

That may or may not work? I dunno but I just thought I would add that in there, you would probably have to do water changes daily or at least every other day.

Della I don't think a 1 gallon would be good for quarentining a goldfish, but it sounds like it would make a great betta home! Get a betta for it...its so empty looking...think about how you could just fill it up and have another little fishy greet you every morning :) A 1 gal w/filter for a betta would probably need to be changed every four to five days, but I'm not too sure. Checking the ammonia would be good :)

make it brackish and a pair of bumblebee gobies? very interesting little buggers ;) or maybe a pair of MALE guppies? a mollie? a platy? betta sounds good, their so gorgiose.

oh, i know! one dwarf puffer! XD

I almost got a bunch of those dwarf puffers! They are absolutley adorable! But, also schooling fish. The fewer you have in there, the easier it will be to care for.

Also, maybe you want to avoid breeding! So, like Magic said, maybe 2 male fany guppies?!

I have a 2.5 that was a hospital tank for a while but now GN is too big for it. So, it is a good idea to keep a hospital tank but, depending on the size of your goldies, it may not be big enough.

Frogs are really fun, cute, different, and low maintenance. But, if you got albino clawed (aka african) frogs, they could never go in with another fish. If you do want that option, I'd say go for the african dwarf frogs. They not too expensive, either.

the puffs need loads of territory, like you can only do 3 in a 10 gallon... and they do fine alone, I have mine in a 3 gallon eclipse

Archived