Sign in to follow this  
Kissy

1" Comets

I am toying with the idea of bringing home a baby feeder fish someday.(loooooooooooonnnnnnnngggggggggggg time tho) The smallest one's are about 1" and actually look the healthiest. I think it would be neat to buy a little baby and watch it grow from there, and it probably won't be stunted much either. I know the chances of survival are slim, but I am only thinking about giving it a try. Is there any special care they need? Could I crumble pellets (like Omega One) for them or do they need special food? Do I need to cover the filter intake? I'm just toying with the idea and if it works out it will be at least 3 months before I try, at the earliest, but might be up to 10 months or so. Thanks :)

Way to go kissy!! Another fish SAVED!!! YIPEE!!!

I just wanted to say congrats!!!

I guess the advice I would give to you would be that I would cover the filter intake, he sounds small....I would try some flakes maybe.. :idont

I hope you get him within the next 3 months and not 10!! It would be exciting to see him soon!!!!

Where are you getting him from outta curiousity? Keep us posted. :)

Its gotta be a while because I have to nuke my tank, accsessories, and a 15 gallon rubermaid (quarentining tank), buy a filter for the rubbermaid, cycle the tub and the 29 gallon, get some tetras friends for Ruby and Rummert first and quarentine them, THEN I can think about goldies. I plan to have three goldfish in th 29 gallon and a comet in the rubbermaid, so I think it would be best to get the three fancies first, but I'm really in the mood for a comet first. I might buy him first, and if he survives quarentine, I'll put him in the glass tank and add two fancies. He'll stay their until I get the third, and then I'll keep him in my tub. Yep, thats the plan and that's why it will take so long lol. I might also try and get a 25 gallon instead of 15, but that will probably be mixed in someplace cuz I don't have any money right now. I actually have fifteen dollars...not really enough to start all this yet :P I'm not sure where I will get him from yet..I haven't found a good pet store around here. All three petstores are crawling with disease and parasites...the last five/four goldfish didn't even last the first two weeks. When I pick them out, they look as healthy as can be, but within the first five days they start going downhill and show signs of parasites etc. There is this one store that is really far away that might be good. I've never been there, and I'm actually not sure if they have goldfish! But I've heard good things about it.

Anyone else? I want to know if he will need special food

Dunno 'bout baby goldfish, but until recently my platies were too small to eat the food I have for them, so I just pinched a few pellets each day with tweezers. It made them break into 3 or 4 pieces each, which definitely small enough for them. You could do the same thing for a baby goldie, I would think.

Okay :) It shouldn't be too hard if they are soggy anyways :P

Guest yabbie

You can grind any dry food into a powder to feed them, but if you really want to see them grow and colour up, you'll need to feed them high protein foods or live foods.

Freeze dried bloodworms are easy to grind up to a powder and make baby fish grow well.

I've already got freeze dried bloodworms :) Would that be okay for a main diet while its young? I'll probably try live foods also.

Edited by Kissy

Guest yabbie

You could add it to a bit of crushed fish flake or pellets for a bit more fibre... but they'll probably swim around the veggie bits and just go for the crushed bloodworms. Mine do.