ph tank 7.5

ph tap 7.2

tank size 63 litre

filter fluval 2 plus

3 small fish

no new fish added

fed pellets high protein. flakes.

dont know GH KH.

water change plus gravel clean once weekly. 30-50% changes.

I rescued these three fish from a garden centre, where they were left in a basin to die and were forgotten about. I puchased the tank etc NEW which was the biggest I could afford to accommodate them.

This was about 2 months ago. All three had fungus, and white spot which seemed to respond well to salt. There are no signs of these diseases now. But one fish never seemed to look well, he always had his dorsal fin down, and now his anal fins (thinks thats the ones!!) are clamped too. the only fins which are not clamped are the front ones by the gills.

He sits on the bottom, mouth movement constant. He comes for food, and eats very well.

He and the others have gone through the cycling process, but the tank finally cycled about 4 days ago. I was water changing daily during the cycling about 30-50%.

His gills are a good red meat colour, I just cant see anything visably wrong.

bacterial? I got hold of medigold, and have been feeding him this for 5 days. Is this the right thing to do? I have stopped that now, since I saw no improvement.

Please send me any advice. I saved this fish from death, and I dont want him to die now, and for me to feel I have failed him.

On occasions he flashes. rubs on the bottom. This is not often, but has been noticed. the other fish are absolutely fine. So I doubt if its contagious. Hpefully not. Anything else I remember I will post!!

I'm not quite sure, sorry, the experts will come soon. However I do know your tank is cramped and slightly overstocked. You have three goldies in 16USgalls, when ideally they should have 25- 30gals.

I know my tank is small. the goldfish are small too, if I go by inches of fish, then its fine for the time being. It was all I could afford at the time, and these fish needed serious help! I have a large tank, and one can go there, but only when i KNOW they are all fit and not going to bring anything into my main tank.

Thanks for posting, I can only think its some internal thing which isnt contagious to the others. I just cant work out what it is!

Thanks again.

The only thing that I can think off is flukes or other parasite. Clamped fins are really a sign that he is not happy. Do you have access to a microscope?

The flashing makes me think parasites. Aquarium salt kills most of the different types of parasites and if used correctly won't hurt the fish. I would bring your water up to a 0.3% solution. To do this, you need to add 1 tsp per US gallon. Do not pour it directly into your tank...let it dissolve in tank water and then pour that into the tank. Then 12 hours later, add another 1 tsp per US gallon. 12 hours later, add another 1 tsp per gallon. Each 12 hour period, you are increasing your salt content by 0.1%. You can't add it all at once...too shocking for the fish.

Note I say US gallons...I see you are using litres for your tank so I'm not sure where you are from...I have heard UK gallons are different than US gallons.

Be sure to buy Aquarium salt...do not use iodized salt, marine salt, epsom salt etc. You can buy the Aquarium salt at the pet store.

Keep an eye on your water changes...if it is still a new tank, it can still be unstable...test daily. If your levels get off, do partial water changes (20-30%). If you remove water, you need to add back in salt what you take out. So if you take out 10 gallons of water, you need to add 10 tsps of salt back in. Keep the salt in for 14 days. After 14 days, you can do water changes without replacing the salt and the salt will slowly get removed from the water.

shj. I dont have a microscope, only a childs one. What would I have to do? I dont fancy taking anything from gills. How could the fish stay still. I have heard this is done.

fishyfan.

I did add salt to their water whilst cycling the tank, to make them more tolerant to nitrite. But it was about 1%. I will try 3%, adding it slowly over a few days. Should I have heater in tank? I know heating helps white spot process to accelerate.

Be careful..... the salt is point one percent and point three percent, not 1% or 3%. There is a BIG difference! ;)

Too strange...I swore I responded to this already and don't see my post....hopefully that doesn't mean I posted it elsewhere by accident bc someone will be very confused! :rofl

You are correct...1 tsp per gallon and repeat 1 time in 12 hours (since you already have a .1% sol in your tank). The .1% that is there now is not enough to kill parasites.

Heating the tank does help (temps up to 80 degrees F, kill off the Ich faster). I personally hate subjecting cold water fish to 80 degree temps but I've heard that people do it. If you do, do it slowly to avoid shocking the fish (a degree or so at a time). Also, higher temps lower the oxygen levels. So, make sure you have extra aeration.

Thanks fishyfan!!

Hope your post didnt go anywhere else!!!

I will probably leave the temp as it is. I will add more salt tomorrow, and remember to remove my plants!!! eeeeekkkkkk

Its the second day with the salt at 0.3% and still no improvement. Other fish are still fine, its just this one. This time he has been sitting at the top of the tank. He still eats very readily. I cant see anything wrong, nothing concrete to go on. I notice sometimes his front fins (still get muddled with the names of fins) flap very frantically sometimes. Like its an irritation. Would this be flukes still?

My water still remains cycled, have been testing each day to make sure everything is ok.

hmm, I would say first try re-testing your water parameters and make sure they are still stable. If it is flukes, salt won't cure it so you may need Prazi. I have never used Prazi so I don't know the specifics of its usage but others here may be able to help with that. Salt may not take an immediate effect....you could try a salt dip (.6% solution....do not add this directly to your tank!! Get a container (ie a bucket) of tank water and dissolve 6 tsp per gallon of water. Then put the fish in and only leave him for a few minutes....if he flips over, get him out!).

Anyone else have any thoughts?

Today I noticed a thin see through poo. so now I am thinking bacterial. This is really difficult now to know what to do, and how to treat him.

I will have to go to the lfs and see if prazi is available in the UK. most treatments are not!!! Thanks for getting back to me.

Is the poo truly clear or is it white? White is usually a sign of a bacterial infection. Even if it is white if it has alot of air trapped in it it can be a sign of constipation.

Totally clear is usually a sign of something else.

(Here's the link Click Here

Also does it appear that he is floating & not as muich under his own control? Do you have any idea what your nitrAte levels are? (Higher NitrAte levels have been known to cause floatiness)

Hope this helps!

:D

Hi. Nitrate levels are 20.

nothing too high.

His poo I guess was white. like the filling had gone from it. Today his poo was normal, so possibly constipated. He doesnt appear to be off balance. He is still clamped, but eating. I still have to 0.3% salt in the tank. The others still appear fine and healthy. I have some medigold. should I try feeding them this? for how many days?

You can try Medigold per the directions on the package...never used that product myself but I know the anti-bacterial food I tried was recommended for 5-10 days.

Before treating with meds, though...have you tried feeding peas? IF he is constipated, the peas should help. You can add a grain of epsom salt to the pea to help with the floatiness too. I would give peas for a day (de-shelled) and then fast for 3 days to see if you see any improvement...if nothing after the peas/fasting, I would try the Medigold.

Thanks fishyfan.

I will start with the peas. I prefer natural stuff than meds. But I just want to save this little fishy. I hate seeing him all clamped up. Its very distressing.

Will keep you posted. Thanks again>

Help!! Today I have noticed the nitrite levels have begun again. Cycled about a week ago, but the nitrite levels are back and read 1.0. Have done a 50% water change.

Duke (the fish) looks a lot worse today. He now seems to have a balance problem. He lies nose down vertically by the filter. I have also noticed one eye looks cloudy. I dont know what to treat him with. I just know hes going to die. He seems quite lethargic now. The others still fine. I am at a loss!!

Archived