Qt New Fish?

Graham

Would you Quarantine all new fish, regardless of where they came from?

For example, a fish from Goldfish Connection or Dandy Orandas, would you still QT it? Thanks. I think I fell in love! :heart

A 'dandy orandas' fish is much less likely to carry disease than the average petstore variety but I know people who only order fish from reputable on-line sites and they still quarantine for 3 weeks.

Check out the thread by Toothless pinned in the disease & discussion forum called "help for members to diagnoses fish" (or something similar). The steps mentioned in this thread make a useful quarantine regime.

I thought so - thanks everyone! I am not sure if he willg et his buddy now - but I will read Toothless' thread before deciding. I want to QT, but I literally dn't have the space. If I can't do it, then I will wait to get more fish. After what I have been through with GN, there is no way I want to jeapordize him! And the one I fell in love with is very expensice, and I wouldn't want him to be in trouble either!

Please, Froggy, Jump right in! I think your 1 gal. might be too small for qt, too, but I guess it might depend on how tiny your new baby is! I am not sure myself - so if I am going to get this cutie, I want to know exactly what I need.

I know there's lots of info. on Kokos already but it's scattered... I read the thread that fihsmerized suggested but it was more about treating parasites not the standard qt procedure.

How would you set-up (an affordable) QT for say, a 4 inch fish?

Darn it!!!! :angry: I fell in love with that little Calico frog's head at Dandy Orands (didn't say anything because I did not want to jinx it) - and I missed him by one day! They just shipped him to CA yesterday - my fish! If only I had written to them yesterday.... :crp .

I thought how perfect the frogs head would be with the telescope... and a calico! :(

Sorry you missed your fish Graham. :(

Toothless thread about parasites is interesting because they are the most common contaminent introduced by new fish.

Some people quarantine fish with a fortnight of .3% salt solution. Others use several .6% salt dips over a fortnight/3 weeks. I am fortunate because flukes and other parasites are not common in Australia. The most common culprit over here would be plain old ich. My quarantine proceedure simply consists of isolation and observation for up to 3 weeks.

Thanks, Fishmerized! He might have one or two more and he will let me know next week - so I might still get a new fish, I hope, because I was VERY smitten!

I would need a whole new set up for at least 10 gallon tank - so I have pretty much decided I would just keep two separate tanks. Then, in a year or two (when we leave this apartment) put them both together - I am sure one year of QT should do it! :rofl So, I guess, I wouldn't really be QT him if he's on his own... but I might do a 0.3% slat for a while to build immunity... what do you think?

I read at Dandy Oranda that they QT for five weeks whent he fish come over form China and they are sold with certificates documenting a clean bill of healh, including microscopy report! THis is a big step up for me from vvvv! :D

since just shipping can couse disies, i would, if only a short 2 week one. because things like ick always show up at the worse time

That's the big difference between places like dandy's and other retailers. I also agree with Magickzzl that stress from shipping and handling can weaken a fish and make them more susceptible to infection.

Excellent point, Magic and Fishmerized! Especially since fancy''s are more delicate to begin with... thanks for keeping me on my toes! :exactly

It's exciting knowing that this time I can do everything "right" (well,as best I can) from the get-go!

Thanks for letting me in one the dicussion, So about how long should I have the new guy in QT? I assume I do all the same things as I would in the normal tank? Adding start right etc....?

I have a few tanks downstairs that I could use instead of this 1gal. I know I have a 20Gal down there and a couple 10's would that be okay to use?

THANX B)

That sounds good, the bigger the better. If you have room somewhere for the 20g I would set it up because you would be cycling at the same time as you are quarantining. The more water per fish the lower the toxic levels and less water changes.

If you are just going to isolate and observe then the longer the quarantine, the safer. I would try to go for at least 3 weeks.

Right on Annette, Will do.....Now to find a place for the 20Gal....I have an idea would it be okay in my basement on a table er sumthing?

It's not a finished off basement by any means but it's not a creepy dank one either....

So I am pretty much going to be cycling this tank too correct?..Just not for a length of time like a month or more? I think that is all I need to know...

*steps back out*

Thanks for lettn me hog the thread a bit..... :rofl

It sounds like your fish is only little if you were initially going to use a 1 gallon. You probably don't need to use a filter, just change about 10% daily and check your water levels regularly.

A very small fish (2") will only emit a small amount of waste. In a 20g tank that would be neglible. If only planning to use the tank for 3 weeks then small water changes should be all that is necessary to keep the water shipshape.

Thanks a ton Annette, I haven't gotton Pebbles her new buddy yet but I will be within the next week!! I mean do I only have to have him in QT for 3 weeks or should it be longer?.....Okay thats it I promise!!

Sorry GRAHHM!!!! :donthit:

How would a ten gallon fare for a 3 inch fish? Filter or no filter for a 2-3 week QT?

Maybe I can just do a QT and then put him in GN's tank... I can't decide! But, it might be more affordable to do that even if I am stuck with an empty 10 gallon tank. Otherwise, I'll have to buy another filter, hood, air pump, etc.

I mean, I have place to put a full tank, but not to store an empty one - so maybe I should just go for a 20 and set it up as a permanent home instead of QT?

Froggy - you are so lucky ou have a basement! I can't wait for you to get new fish! Don't worry - koko's is about info., SHARING info, it's a discussion - the more the merrier! :D

You could do that Graham. If you don't have a cycled tank to use I actually think it would be easier on the fish to do large water changes then try to cycle the tank during quarantine. Cycling could also stress the fish and bring on illness that would only complicate things.

If you think you could manage 50% water changes in the 10g everyday I don't think there would be a problem. Just to be safe it is advisable to do regular water tests as well.

edit: I'm not sure if you already have the 10g or if you are debating whether to choose a 10g or a 20g. If it's a question of which to buy and you have enough space I think everyone will recommend buying larger than you need.

You could quarantine/cycle the tank with the new fish, cycling won't be as hard on the fish in a 20g. If you like you could transfer the fish to your other tank after that and keep the new 20g running as a hospital tank. You would need to keep a fish in it to keep it cycled. When you need a hospital tank the fish could temporarily move into the other tank. Am I making sense?

Ja! Very good! This is all so interesting - I will have to think about it. I can do 50% water changes everyday for 2-3 weeks (Unfortunately, I find myself lately with way too much time on my hands - hence the great relief in staying busy with my new hobby)!

I see what you are saying - but I guess in the end, I'd rather try to avoid winding up with two twenty gallon tanks! Although, if I get spendy and buy another Eheim (so one for each twenty gallon tank) - when I upgrade to a 55 gallon tank, I could use both filters on it...

I don't know, this is getting too complicated. I just want two fish in one tank. :(

(I do not have the other tank yet - so I agree, if I have to get a new tank I might as well get a twnety... but then I might as well get the fifty now and use the 20 as a hospital tank! - Both would already have cycled water and the Eheim can handle the fifty gallon and the twenty could just get a more affordable emperor...) Still, it's a little more expense than I was plannign on right now...

But I gotta get my hands on that frog face! I will think about it! Thanks so much for all your great QT advice! you should write a page on healthy QT! :exactly

In an emergency, if you see a fish you like, use an inexpensive plastic container of appropriate size and do daily water changes. Maybe that is the simple answer to having 2 fish in 1 tank until you are ready for more tanks. ;)

Many people including myself use containers/tubs as hospital tanks too.

AHA! But I have a Krazy Kitty!

I have found the beginning of a solution - someone in the 'hood is selling a 29 gallon - I could start switching GN into that one (if it is a Perfecto, the hood I have might fit) and then use GN's cycled tank (or empty it out and start over) as temporary QT tank. Then, when they are in together with their new super filter and all, I can find somewhere to stick the 20 as a backup for emergencies - it won't be cycled but there will be a spare power filter for it.

IF Dandy Orandas has a boy fish for me and it's a froggy! THis could work out nicely. But, I am still really scared!

Would this give me the opportunity to get rid of GN's UGF filter faster? Are the plants and ornaments that have good stuff on them and his old water enough to help start a new cycle? - for say, the - 29 gallon tank.

But, I should not put anything from GN's tank into the QT, right? THANKS!

Ha, Ha! Nothing better to do these days! At least koko's and the fish are keeping me busy and constructive! I'll let you know how it all turns out...

But still, the QT should be all new water, changed everyday - none of GN's water? Because otherwise it would start cycling and that could stress out the new fish?

Archived