Missing! Shrimp...

Graham

Hi All - I have (allegedly) four Japanese Cherry shrimp. I put them in their new tank on Friday. I have not seen them since Saturday! Is that normal? Where are they? What happened to them? It is a planted 12 gallon tank with 7 killifish and a baby snail in it. I mena, there is not even a HINT of them anywhere?! :blink:

they are incredibly good at jumping as well as hiding. i would check behhind the tank (if you have an opening there) and then just wait and see if you find them IN the tank. I have probably close to 50 ghost shrimp in one of my tanks, and i rarely see them unless i distrub the plants and decorations. :)

OK - well, I will let you know if I spot them when I fix the plants over the weekend. I got bright red so I wouldn't "lose" them! :angry: :rofl

They could be in the substrate - why? - but I put a thin layer as I am not planting my plants - I put the layer just to help the tank get cycled with the blackwater (which leaches fromt he substrate) for the killies - so i am not sure that it is deep enough for burrowing... maybe?!

They definitley did not get out of the tank but I did check the filter - clear!

They are so weird - they acted dead for hours when I got them, then suddenly they would come to life - strange little creatures! So, that's waht they do then, they hide? :o

Maybe I just need to get eighty more of them! :krazy: HAHA!

oK they are officially MIA! I finally tinkered with the tank - located Sakuraba-San and identified all 7 of the killifish (they are hard to count past five b/c they keep moving... then you start counting the same ones over :krazy: )

NO SHRIMP! I even sifted the gravel with the siphon looking for bodies...

I will still consider them as part of the tank for another month or so - then I will have to accept the fact that they probably are no more... :cry1

THey are so little I guess their bodies would take no time at all to disintigrate...

It's just weird because they are supposed to be one of the hardiest things you can put in a tank! And they were so Cute! :crp

Well, I checked the filter several times... Nada. The strainer is too small for them to pass through and it tends to gather plant strands on it making it even harder for one to even get stuck to the filter and die like that - they are bright red so I would have seen them stuck there (Wallace and I look at the tank A LOT)! But, the filter is the only place to go - besides shrimp heaven, maybe the killis ate the bodies after they (might have) died? or they decomposed? Or both?

Maybe they are Ninja shrimp! :rofl

Is this why you are getting rid of yours, Smack?!

Thanks, black Oranda - I will PRETEND they are there!

dont give up yet... I didnt see my ghost shimp in a 6 gallon for 4 months after i got them!! and a 6 isnt very big.. i siphoned, i stirred, i do weekly water changes... never saw them... now one comes out and begs for snacks.... i still dont know what they were doing or where they were

• 3 weeks later...

Archived