Painting Room That My Tanks Are In

jsrtist

We moved into our house 3 1/2 weeks ago and it needs some major work. This weekend I am finally going to paint the living room ceiling and walls. My 100 gallon and 30 gallon are in there because I am unable to move them. My 100 got chipped during the move and there is no way I am risking breaking the tank and stressing out my fish by moving it again. Glass tanks are just not meant to be moved and Ive already moved it twice in the 2 years Ive had it.

Anyway I need to paint (these walls and ceiling look just awful) but I am worried about the fumes. Im going to try to run my fans but I cant exactly open the windows and doors because it will be 100?+ this weekend. How harmful will that be? I have heard that you should turn off pumps and filters but I cant expect them to be without filtration all that time? I would love advice from anyone who has done this before!

BTW it is just standard interior latex paint, not oil based or anything.

I do not know anything for sure, but paint nowadays is pretty harmless. I would turn of the air pumps, but as for the filters (why type do you have again?) I would leave those on. Adam's Mom always paints her house with everyone in it including the animals. I would wait for someone else's reply though because I do not know for sure.

I've painted one wall of the room that my big tank is in. I didn't turn anything off and the fish are fine. I also painted the whole hallway, and again the fish didn't suffer any adverse effects. Maybe put some kind of think material over the tank though if you're worried, but as Florrisa said, I think matt paint is fairly inoccuous nowadays.

good luck

bw

cupoftea

I've been dubbed the "official painter" in my family because I guess everyone else messes it up... :idont Not sure why, really. Oh well.

Anyways, I've spent a lot of time around the paint, and the only paint I've come across that has any kind of fume warning is spray paint. I've got really irritable nose-sensors--meaning I sneeze a lot, sometimes just at bad smells--but normal house paint doesn't bother me at all.

I should think you'd be alright.

I painted my livingroom at the old house with my 55 gallon right there. I turned off my pumps, but I think I left the filters going, I turned on the fan, and opened all windows I could and kept a close eye on everyone. They did just fine! :D

I painted my fish room yesterday!!! i just turned off the airpumps, and everyone was fine. it was a major major pain since the stand on my big tank is only 1.5 inches away from the wall at one point!

Archived