Too Much Movement?

Anic

I have a filter and an air pump in my tank. The bubble stone goes the length of the tank. Is that too much water movement for my fish? I have Comets and Commons.

Anic :nana

I have 11 fish (2 white minnow-lookin' fish, 1 pleco and 8 Comets/commons) in a 10 gallon tank. My mom's boyfriend bought about 15 fish a few months ago, when I was at school and he didn't know that that would crowd the tank. I put the bubble stone in to try to get more oxygen in the water. Two fish were too small and got eaten and two weren't healthy from the get go. I had checked them out when I got home.

I can't get another tank ( even though I want to! ) because there isn't enough space in mine and my sister's room. We're planning on building a pond to put some of them in.

I dont think thats too much movement, considering the huge number of fish you have in their. I dont mean to nag, especially since I have two fancy goldfish in only 3.5galls, but id just like point out something.

You have 8 comets/commons, and these fish need 15-20gals of water each! Tthis potentially adds up to a lot of space needed, and thats just a small innsight into how cramped your tank is. Try giving back some fish to the petstore, or get that pond built in asap..

:) Again im not nagging, im just trying to help you :)

Wow not to be mean of nag since It sounds liek you are doing the best you can. Definately try to get the pond built ASAP or try like lillypetal said and find new homes for them. Ask if a pestshopt will take them or you might be able to put up flyer for like free comets for someone's pond. Definately do water changes at least weekly if not more because with than many fish ammonia and nitrites can build up to toxic levels in no time. goodluck:)

You could also get a big rubbermaid type container for them until the pond is built. I wouldn't think there is enough room in the tank left to worry about too much current. You could hang a filter on the rubbermaid and give them lots more room for now without taking up alot more room in your house. Good luck with your pond. :)

I have a natural pond down the hill a little ways from my house. I thought about putting some in there, but there are bass and catfish and I would feel terrible if I put them in there knowing that they would die in less than a day. But I'll keep looking for somewhere to take them. Could goldfish live in a creek? It's a big creek.

Never ever release a domestic animal into a wild enviroment. If they live they will most likely compete with natural inhabitants for food and space and could become a major problem. Most likely your fish would not survive in a natural pond or creek, they are domestic and have probably lost alot of their natural instincts which would keep them alive, and would be easy targets for wild animals. Do not release them try to find new homes for them.

Archived