Invertebrate-safe Meds?

Guest neezerandbeet

Guest neezerandbeet

I have not yet had the need to use anything other than water conditioners in my tank, but now one of my goldies may have a bacterial infection. I know that some medications can be deadly to snails, and I thought it might be heplful to have a thread where we can list fish meds we know should not be used in tanks with snails (or other invertebrates).

I know that salt CAN be used in tanks with snails, but that it should be added slowly and carefully.

I don't really know about anything else, but I'll come back and add what I find out after researching a bit.

-S

Looking on Apple Snail.net,Sounds like the only safe things to use with snails are the Melafix/Pimafix,and that's with careful dosing. There are a few people that claim they've used other meds in with their snails,but no overall proof across the board that these Meds are truly safe.I personally would remove the snails if you have to treat the fish with an Antibiotic. JMO.... :)

I second Devs. I believe that those are pretty much the only snail-safe meds, from my memory. I would most definitely remove snails before treating the tank with anything. Good luck with your goldie!

I agree also. I think its easier to remove the snails then risk poisoning them with meds. I dont even trust mela/pima with them. ive had them close into their shells for the entire time i was using it. too close a call for me :exactly

Archived