Common With Lumpy Sides

Guest becky

Guest becky

I have a common that is about 3-4 inches that has been sick before, bottom sitting, etc. I thought it was due to high nitrate levels. My tank is overstocked and my filter was not sufficient even for a minimally stocked tank. He got better, but now is showing symptoms again. Here are my stats.

Ammonia=0

NitrIte=0

NitrAte=40

pH=7.4 (out of the tap is 7.6)

29 gallon tank running 9 months

penguin 350 filter (just upgraded from a penguin 170)

Change minimum 20% weekly; if needed, I do twice weekly up to 40%

Condition water with Prime (was using "tap water conditioner" in the beginning & amquel+)

There are 4 fish in the tank; 2 commons 3 to 4 inches each and 2 fantails about 2-3 inches each. I have one other fantail in a hosptial tank recovering from an internal bacterial infection. 2 fish have died in the last six weeks, possibly from this bacterial infection.

Yes, that means there were 7 fish in a 29 gallon tank with a penguin 170 filter. I was having trouble keeping the nitrAte down, after I was told I needed to check it. :krazy: The plan was to hold on until spring and give the 3 commons (1 has died) to a friend who has a pond. Well, with the weird bacteria they developed they are no longer welcome in the pond.

I noticed Andy bottom sitting a few days ago. I had just upgraded to the bigger filter and was keeping close tabs on the water, it was perfect. I could not figure out what was wrong. Then I noticed his side looked "lumpy". Today it almost looks caved in where the lump ends. Definitely not sleek and smooth like a common is supposed to look.

I did not feed them last night and am wondering if I should move him into the hospital tank. I had planned on keeping the other fish in there for another 30 days on medigold, just for insurance. But, she seems just fine and has been on medigold for 30 days already.

Then the question is what to do with him. Salt? Medigold? Maracyn? I just don't know, but I do know that something is definitely wrong with him and I am worried about the rest of the fish getting it too.

If you have an appropriate hospital tank that is cycled would be best. If not I think leaving him where he is would be ok.

The next thing I would try to do is get the nitrates down even further. To at least 20 that will make things easier on him. Sick fish don't do well with high nitrates and while 40 is ok for most, it usually is to high for a compromised fish.

Is there a way to post a photo of this lump? Maybe describe it alittle more?

Take a feel of it too, this will help if we know what it feels like.

Guest becky

Ok, I have registered with photobucket and uploaded some pictures I took while I was moving him into the hospital tank. One really shows a large lump on his left side, but both sides look lumpy.

Pictures of Andy's lumps

:ill

The lump on the left feels hard. I just caught him again to feel the lumps, I meant to do it when I released him from the baggie and forgot. He is really stressed.

The water in the hospital tank was measuring about 20 ppm nitrates. I did a water change anyway. I really can't read those cards. The difference between 20 and 40 on the card is impossible for me to distinguish. The way I do it is by looking at the tube holding it up, if it looks orange I say its 20, if it looks more red then I say its 40. I think the main tank was really 20, I just mispoke when I said 40. But, who knows what it really is. I don't.

I know reading some of those colors are very difficult. But any improvement will help him.

From the pics I see it is more of a "bulge" than a lump and on both sides, is this correct?

If so, it could be constipation. Or even eggs??? Do you know whether it is a male or female?

Guest becky

I know it is a male, he got breeding stars a few months ago and chased the ladies around.

Yes, the bulges are on both sides. But, the left side is much more pronounced. You can really see it in that one picture from above.

Yes, the nitrate color chart is especially difficult once you get above 10. But, that is why I did the water change. Since I am not sure I want to be safe. It still reads 20 to me. I am going to do another water change tomorrow and see if I can bring it down to 10.

I won't feed him again today. Peas for the next 3 days?

Guest becky

He is not bottom sitting in the hospital tank, as a matter of fact he seems to "feel" fine. He just looks lumpy. Perhaps the nitrAte levels in the main tank are too high (they are at 20-40). I am going to do a water change on that tank too.

The bacterial infection problem I mentioned in my original post is a distinct possibility. I have another thread that details the death of one fish and the recovery of another.

Pimples/cysts/abcess?

Toothless seems to think this is the same and that I need to treat everyone for it from now on. I think he might be right.

I gave Andy some Medi-gold last night and waited for the poop (to see if it was constipation). He gobbled it down like the starving fish he always is and within 5 minutes he pooped a long brown poop. Can we rule out constipation?

Hmmm rule out constipation I don't know. Have you only seen 1 long poo? If so I wouldn't rule it out entirely.

I would however go with the peas for a few days then start the antibotic food if you still feel nessasary.

With the lumps being on both sides only one more pronounced I would tend to shy away from a tumor unless it is so large it is pressing thru to both sides of the fish. With that I would think the fish would be alot sicker.

Guest becky

Well, he is a huge glutton (even among goldfish). So he could have a wee bit of a back up. If it is causing all those lumps I guess it is more than wee. The peas for a few days will help if thats it then?

I never suspected a tumor, although I suppose a lump could always be caused by that. What I think might be causing the bumps is an internal bacterial infection and internal abcesses or cysts could be causing the lumpy-ness. I have had fish with pus burst out of their sides from small "pimples" and this could be something of that nature.

I was out of town overnight and came home to find him sitting in the corner and he would not respond to me. I was in a panic and soaked and offered him some medi-gold. That got him up and about. I tested the water and everthing was fine, except nitrAtes were too high (40ppm-as far as I can tell!). I did about a 40% water change and he seems to be swimming around like normal. He is definitely sensitive to nitrAte levels. (and maybe he was lonely too!)

Guest becky

The scales at the top of the large lump on his left side have lifted slightly and I can see a tiny bit of white coming through. He has been on peas for 3 days. His poop starts as thin as a hair and then always winds up a regular thick poop.

I am putting him back on the medigold today. I am doing water changes every day or two to keep the nitrates below 10. The temp is up to 82 and he is acting perfectly normal. He just has that huge lump that looks like it is about to rupture.

Becky at this point I think you are doing all you can. Keeping the nitrates very low will help him tremendously.

If he is acting fine, I wouldn't worry to much. Often we have to wait to see "what develops" if anything else.

How big is he by the way?

Guest becky

He is about 3 inches without his tail fin, my biggest fish. I have one other common in my main tank and I need to decide what to do with them. I think maybe a patio pond is the best place for them. They were going to live in a friend's pond when the bacterial infections began, and now they are not welcome.

If I put those two in a pond that would leave me with 3 fan tails in a 29 gallon and I would not be overstocked anymore.

Guest becky

They came up pretty fast. The right side is just kind of lumpy. It has a sharp ridge, but it is not very high. It is the left side that concerns me. It has a definite bump. I can see tiny bits of white at the top of it every now and then when I look very closely from behind (under the scales), but it's not there all the time. I wonder if it is slowly draining? Much better than a burst. It is quite large, grape sized. Should I add some salt?

Salt may be a good thing to help if it is an abcess of some kind. Other than that I don't think there is much more to do. If you see it starting to drain then putting the fish on a medicated food would be advised.

Guest becky

He has been on medigold since he went off the peas. I am feeding him 3x a day to keep the antibiotic in him. Thats probably why the nitrates rise so quickly. I am changing the water every other day. He is very sensitive to levels at or above 20ppm it seems. He gets lethargic, but as soon as I do a water change he is good as new.

I think the lump is going down. It is hard to tell, I look at him so closely every day. But, in comparing the two sides he seems to be looking more symmetric.

Hopefully you are seeing what you are seeing.

As for the medigold you would be ok to only do it twice a day. This will still give him the meds he needs and cut down on the waste.

Archived