Our Beloved Oranda Passed Away

Guest MonknSharona

Guest MonknSharona

On Monday, July 18, 2005, our beloved Oranda, Monk passed away. He lived with Sharona in a 55 gallon to themselves. They have been a pair ever since we got them. They'd always look out for each other and were so attached. They had a few clutches last year, but none of the fry made it. They were buddies. Monk and Sharona were our first fish. Monk was a very large red/white orandas while Sharona is a red capped. Once, Sharona had a rock stuck in her mouth and I had to use my hemostats to get it out. She was so stressed out, but Monk swam up next to her, while she was in my hand, and stayed with her. Once he did that, she calmed down and I was able to help her. Several times, when Monk wasn't feeling well, he'd lay at the bottom. When he did that, Sharona would sit with him. They were always together. I truely believe that these fish do form friendships with each other and now that Monk has passed away, I miss him terribly and Sharona does as well. When my husband removed him from his tank, Sharona began running into my husbands hand, not wanting him to take him.

Monk had a cancerous tumor in his belly. It appeared several months ago, but didn't affect him a whole lot. He still played, ate, and did what goldies do best (pooing) well. It would grow and it would get smaller. His treatment option wast to have surgery. I wasn't prepared to do that because the veterinarian stated that he probably wouldn't make it through surgery or post op, and if he did, it would grow back. This week, it finally ruptured, taking our Monk away from us.

I miss him so much, and even though some folks think we are nuts, he wasn't just a fish to us. He and Sharona are our favorites and got us into fish. It feels like we've lost a cat or dog.

Here's my favorite photo of Monk and Sharona; this was taken when they were much MUCH smaller, as they have grown to be quite large now. Sharona is on the left (the red cap) and Monk is on the right (the red/white).

monknsharonasmall.jpg

Thanks for listening.

Guest Esareh

awww! **hugs** Im so sorry! What makes it worse is poor Sharona! her poor lil buddy! Aww! *hugs for Sharona* im so sorry about your loss!

:rip: poor Monk! I am so sorry for ya'll and Sharona :( That is a beautiful picture of them, they're lovely :heart I understand about them being your favorites, I have a couple of favs myself. It's so sad when we have to lose any of our fishie pets. I hope you feel better soon and know what a great life Monk had with you. :hug

I'm so sorry for your and Sharona's loss. That was a very sad, but touching story; thanks for sharing it. I hope you and Sharona feel better with time; Monk was a very handsome oranda.

That was one of the most touching stories I have heard in along time. My thoughts are with you and your husband...and Sharona. Monk was a beautiful little fish, and I can only offer you my condolences, but I send you my love and this: :hug I hope that Sharona may soon find a new friend, although it can never replace the original. Good Luck, and once again I'm so sorry for you loss. :heart

Archived