How Big Do Blackmoors Grow?

Guest Bigphil

Guest Bigphil

I bought Sweep about 8 weeks ago and at the moment she has a 29 Gal tank to herself. (there is a history behind that but you would have to look at my post history to see that!)

She has now grown from about 1" to 2 and 1/2 "!

I would love to see her grow massive.

How big do Blackmoors grow?

It all depends on the conditions and the fish's genetics. But i can and may grow up to 8 inches. So keep at it, and your blackmoor will grow big and healthy.

Given that they have good genetics, a well varied diet and very clean water, moors can get as large as 8-12 inches long. I have one such creature that is almost ten years old and is a solid ten inches long. Here's a pic of the moster:

shaggster.jpg

And one more with his little tankmate (who isn't so little anymore). In the pic below, Naz, the little one, is about 3 inches long:

shaggandnaz1.jpg

Hope this helps! :)

I have a moor that is 6" long (including tail), he doubled his size in 12 months. I have another that is nearly as big but his tail is short, he also doubled his size in 12mths. Both were relatively young when I bought them.

On the other hand I have 2 small moors, now about 3" (including tail). I have also had these for around 12mths from itsy bitsy babies, perhaps an inch and a half. So they have also doubled their size in 12mths but I don't think they have the genetic potential to grow to the size of the first two I mentioned.

Basically, if they are going to grow large you will see the potential in the first 12 months of keeping them. jmo :)

Oh my word, Toothless - great job! You should give him a nickname - KONG!

Love the picture of the two together. I shall certainly strive to get GN that big!

Basically, if they are going to grow large you will see the potential in the first 12 months of keeping them. jmo  :)

366415[/snapback]

That's an interesting observation - if it is basically true, then we could all calculate the next tank sizes we had to invest in!

I hope your blackmoor grow very large, indeed! :D

Yep. Shaggy was indeed a rescue. When I found him, he was in a twenty gallon that had been left alone for so long that there was only 4-6 inches of water left in it. The filter had long since quite working and dried up. There was so much muck in the bottom of the tank that you couldn't even see into the water to identify him. He was accompanied by a dojo loach and a dwarf gourami. Anyway,The owner had been arrested and was in jail indefinitely.

Basically, Shaggy broke every rule I had ever learned about goldfish keeping. I mean, to go through living in conditions like that for sooo long and to still grow to a full ten inches surely goes against what we know about growth and living conditions. He was only about 5-6 inches long at that time and he was still able to pack on a growth spurt to put him at ten inches.

I think that it should b noted that I keep shaggy in a 40 gallon tank with only one other goldfish. I do not plan on putting anymore than that in there either. More water is always better. ;)

Paul

Archived