Just A Question

Guest Zyenthillias

Guest Zyenthillias

I just had a question about one of my ryukins. I haven't been too concerned, because he's been my healthiest, fastest-growing fish so far, and doesn't have any problems swimming or finding plenty of food. But his eye is bugged out pretty far (has been since he went into this tank.) Currently I have him in a 55 gallon tank with several more goldfish (he's about 4 1/2 inches, one of the others is closer to 6, but otherwise they're all 2 or under). His eye started to swell when I first got the tank running (I'm pretty sure it was because I didn't allow for enough time for the chemicals to balance, which was kinda stupid now that I look back on it), and has remained swollen ever since. I had hoped that it would return to normal when the chemicals did but by now the chemicals have been ideally balanced for months, and I've given up hope that it will return to normal on its own.

SO. I guess what I'm asking is, Is there any hope of the eye returning to a normal size, whether by treatment or on its own? I'm not especially concerned either way, but for his sake at least, I think it'd be nice to have a normal eye again.

By the way, Is is pretty common for Ryukins to be solid black? I didn't think they came all black, but he's very clearly the shape and build of a ryukin, and he's a beautiful velvet black! Just curious if I've got a pretty rare one or if that's fairly normal.

Well sounds like he may have pop-eye, you can treat that with an antibiotic, I guess I would recommend mela-fix that is what I used earlier tonight on my moor.

It really sounds like you have a black moor when your are describing the color that sounds to me like a moor? but maybe not, could you post some pics of him so we all can see him?......

Other than that sounds like you got everyting going the right way so I really can't think of why his eye would be like that?

Did one of the other fish perhaps pick on him? or did he bump into something in the tank?

Hope that helps some.... :rolleyes:

Guest Zyenthillias

Hmm. I thought of pop-eye, too, but the little bit I read on this site about it said that it usually comes right before dropsy, and as I said, he's been like this for quite a few months and shown no other health concerns or strange behavior.

I don't have any pictures of that particular one (go figure), but I could probably sketch something decent in a minute (I just have to figure out how to post images on this thing...) I'm quite certain he's a ryukin, though. I only have ryukins and black moores in my tank, and he's really shaped a lot more like a ryukin than a moore. Though the coloration IS that of a black moore. So that's kinda weird. Sparky_sketch_by_Zyenthillias.jpg

Kaay, not my best, but for a 10-minute sketch, that's close enough. What do you think? Ryukin? Or can Moores get that....robust? :P

I can't get the image to come through for some reason?....do you have a digi cam? you can take a pic then add it to photobucket and post it through that.....Trust me I am no puter whiz but I finally learned how to copy and paste!! I am behind!!!....LOL

HUMMMMM.......*thinks hard* I can't think of what that would be I guess, have you tried treating with antibiotics at all? Maybe it's just stress? or he just got a ouchie? I think I will let someone elese take this over as I do not want to mis diagonse him and there very well could be nothing wrong with him.....

I think he wants to be a moor though.......LOL :rofl

Well, when ever ive experienced pop eye, the eye bulged, and then it became red around the eye, and the eye became very hazy. This was all in the matter of a week or so. Are there any other signs of illness besides the eye bulging? Ive dealt with pop eye a couple of times, and have never dealt with dropsy, so its hard to say if it is pop eye, if your fish will get dropsy. Honestly, im not sure on that one.

Guest Zyenthillias

There actually is a bit of red in the eye, too, like it got gouged or something. One spot has been there ever since the eye first got swollen, and the other is fairly recent (maybe a week ago?) but like I said, apart from that, he's been perfectly healthy for MONTHS....sooo I guess I figured if it was popeye it would have showed other severe signs long before now....*shrug* Still. If we never figure this out, he still seems to be just fine, so I'm not too worried.

Uhmmmmm......where is that toothy? *looks for him*

He is usually good at pin pointing the problem, as well as Devs, Laurie, Jessica, Erikka....lots lots more can't think of them all Fishmermized,

I guess since he isn't acting funny I woulden't be too worried either especaially since you had mentioned that he has been like this for awhile. I don't know if anyone has advised you to treat him or not but that might be an option too, I just don't want to say what to treat it with since we are not sure on what he has or what happened?......Toothy were are you?.........I hope someone comes along soon and gets this eye thing figured out, until then good luck and sorry I am not of much help.

:unsure:

Guest Zyenthillias

Don't worry about it! I checked, and the red is mostly gone, now, and I'm looking to see if the eye gets at all cloudy. At this point, I don't think so, but I'll keep it under close watch. Thanks, though, for your support so far! ^^

Archived