Question On My "black" Moore

Guest Zyenthillias

Guest Zyenthillias

One of my black moores has been changing colors drastically since I added some new goldfish a couple months ago. Originally he was solid black (as I would expect), and he kept going a little goldish for a while, but now he's about 70% gold, 20% black, and 10% ORANGE!! ;) The newest of the goldfish are a nice, rich orange, so I'm starting to wonder if that's what he wants to beCOME or what, but those are ryukins, and he's a black moore!! It's crazy....so anyways, I was just curious if this is pretty common, or if he really doesn't have a strong sense of self-identity. :D

Hi,

I have heard of this happening I have seen some black moors turn a sorta light gray color, though I am not sure what causes this I think sometimes it can be normal for them to change.

I have seen some big ones in the pet stores that don't seem to have that rich dark black velvetty color to them....

Outta curiosity what size tank do you have them all in?...Who knows maybe he wants to be a true gold color?.....LOL

I know my calico has changed dramitcally since I got her, she was very light colored then turned very bold in color...

Hi,

I have heard of this happening I have seen some black moors turn a sorta light gray color, though I am not sure what causes this I think sometimes it can be normal for them to change.

I have seen some big ones in the pet stores that don't seem to have that rich dark black velvetty color to them....

Outta curiosity what size tank do you have them all in?...Who knows maybe he wants to be a true gold color?.....LOL

I know my calico has changed dramitcally since I got her, she was very light colored then turned very bold in color...

Guest Zyenthillias

It's a 55 gallon. :D *is proud* Yeah...the goldish color seemed pretty natural, but....orange? Not even like, copper but flat-out orange!!! Heheh. Kinda surprised me!

Guest Esareh

Graham's black moor turned into a 100% orange telescope eye. I dont know how common it is for black moor's to change colors but most fish change colors at least once in thier lives.

Yes, there have been a few people here who's moors have turned. Black is the most unstable color (and easily lost) in goldfish. I have seen a pic of someone else's who also changed to the bright ORANGE so it is fairly common. So far, mine is still black. I would love to see pics while he is changing if you have any to post! :D

Some of the color change may have to do with the food you are feeding your black moor. Sometimes a color enhancing food like Hikari can make your fish change colors.

In the past, I have had my moors turn a bronze color, which is beautiful...I hope my current moor stays black...cause I have 4 other telecope fish and each is a different color(gold, albino white, calico-metallic and matte)

Do you think that maybe they chage colors to blend in with the others? Like zebras do? It would make it harder to pick him out of the group if he's the same as the rest. I have a black and gold Comet that did the same thing. Now he's all gold.

:nana

Guest neezerandbeet
Some of the color change may have to do with the food you are feeding your black moor. Sometimes a color enhancing food like Hikari can make your fish change colors.

365102[/snapback]

Eep! Thanks for the info!

I have also read higher temps and pH can lead to the loss of the black in a moor. My tank is 80 degrees with a pH of 7.6. It definitely qualifies and warm with a higher than neutral pH. Once Spring started changing there was no stopping it.

Hi - Graham here - yes, he went 100% flaming orange! (I call it his Flaming Mamie outfit - aunyone else like Auntie Mame?)

I put pictures of the change in the Goldfish photo section undert he title "Presenting... Graham Norton"! HE lives alone so it was not psychological, for him anyway.

I have notived there seems to be a seasonal component as several other people I have talked to with "changlings" reported it happening about the same time of year - but that could be a water temp. thing...

'

I will admit I was a tiny bit disppinted at first becasue I wanted a black fish - but as long as he is healthy, he can be rainbow colored if he wants to! It's kind of fun not knowing what might happen next!

I have learned that when I would want another blackmoor - this time I will try to get an older one form a reputable breeder - somehow, I think that might help!

Enjoy the show!!! :D

Archived