911!

jcohrs

Hey all! My baby is sitting on the bottom of the tank! I know it's bedtime and stuff but I've never seen her just sitting at the bottom w/ her dorsil fin sunk down! I changed the water today- might I have put too much salt? please help ASAP!

Thanks

Hey all- I don't know if this is a HUGE problem but I have never noticed it b4. My baby is just sitting at the bottom of the tank w/ her dorsil fin clamped down! I changed the water today so she should be fine- bu tI might have put too much salt in! please help!

:) Hi Could you please provide us with as many questions that you can answer from the Red Box above,so that we can fully help you.Also,what size tank is your fish in,and how much salt did you actually put in?

I just moved and I can't find my kit for the levels... But I ususally put about a handful of salt in 2 gallons (that I change weekly). I have a 10 gallon that I've had for about 5 months. There was a lot of algae but it was mostly green- I've heard that the brown stuff means there's high nitrates- but it was 90-95% green maybe more. She moves whenever she knows I'm in the room it's just she's resting on the bottom! My tank has been cycled for months and I have no idea why it would have spiked...

side note- she doesn't look sick... She's breathing normally and there are no abnormalties... Well, that may not be true... she had extremely thick poop today- I think it was because of the algae- she's been eating it- so I wasn't too worried!

If I were you,The first thing that I would probably do,is a 50% water change.Secondly,find your test kits.It is not good to second guess water parameter's. Salt in low dose-0.1%,is 1 tsp/5 gal. Salt at 0.3 % is okay too if reached with 3-12 hour intervals in between salt treatments to reach that final 0.3%.You did all of that in one moment apparently. So,how big is your hand i'm wondering??? It's not very wise to measure salt that way for sure.Who knows how many tsps. you added at one time. Salt levels will not dissapate with water evaporation,or small water changes. It's a wonderful remedy,when used wisely,but I think too many people use it for no reason at all. Through what is called "Osmosis",your goldfish allready maintains a normal high salt level in his body fluids,and needs to absorb some fresh water to keep it all in check. By overloading him on salt,you are putting him under Osmotic stress. It saps their strength,energy,and weakens their immune system,and can even kill them.That is probably why the fish has been sitting on the bottom. This is JMO. :)

Hi jcohrs - is there any way you can fill in as much of the information needed from the white box?

It's too hard to guess at this point although try and post back soon as your little guy sounds as though he/she is doing poorly :blink: Fins should be splayed/erect when healthy and clamped fins indicates something's not right.

If you haven't got any water test kits, then would you be able to take a sample of your water to your lfs and ask them to write down the readings for ammonia, nitrites, nitrates and ph then post them back here.

Also, what size, how many fish, what kind of filtration etc....

How much salt did you put in the tank?

Please post back with as much info as you can and we'll take it from there :)

She's up and about this morning- I guess she was just sleeping... I heard that salt was 3 tsp for gallon... it's not like I'm putting it in for the first time- i'm replacing the water change. I'll try and break out my kit today and see what's up. Thanks!!!

Jen,you may want to take a look in the Disease section. jcohrs has two threads going for the same thing. Jchors,please try to stick with one thread, so that we can keep all the information together & best help your fish. :)

I have to agree with Devs. While the end result of the salt accumulation is 3 tsp per gal, (if you want a 0.3% concentration) you don't add it all at once. Only 1 tsp at a time.

Go ahead and post what the results were, like Devs said it could be something going on.

I just noticed Devs... I think Laurie's joined the 2 together. Less confusing that way  :)

365344[/snapback]

:rolleyes: Thanks Laurie! I planned on doing that,but am back on my work schedule! :krazy: Gotta get to bed now!

Archived