I Want Your Opinion

Guest MrMatt

It's just enough (according to drs foster & Smith it filters 300gph). I prefer aquaclears or Fluval cannisters but there are alot of members who like the filters with biowheels (like the emperors)

You want to be at least 10X the numbers of gallons in your tank as far as the amoutn of filtration you are shooting for. You can have more (& I do one one of my tanks) but I made sure to have sweet spots where the fish can rest without much current.

Happy hunting!

:D

PS - I would check out BigAl's online - they seem to have great prices on tank stuff! (Much cheaper than I can find it at my local stores!)

Guest squeeker

I really, really prefer the aquaclears. I find they hold more media, are easier to maintain, and are reliable.

Guest jimmy_396_jimmy

i have the same filter and i have in a 30 gallon also but it has another filter too..(160 gph +300 gph = 460 gph for 30 gallon)

I have the emporer400, penguin 300&330, Aquaclears mini,200,300 and 500. The 500 is not in use right now. I personally find the penguins to be easiest to clean but all are very good filters. I like them all. :)

:rofl Ask any group and you will get a great deal of variety in answers! :lol:

I personally have never had a great deal of luck with the Aquaclears. They have a tendancy to overflow over the back when full of waste, do not self-restart without priming, and had have nothing but problems with servicing them. Mine are currently sitting in a box in the crawl space, potentially to be used as emergency backup or given away.

I am a fan of Emperors, not so much the biowheels (I can take them or leave them), but because the filters provide extra media baskets, as well as great, easy use and servicing. I have yet to have one that has failed in any fashion. The Penguin series with baskets is great. The Penguin 170s work well for a 10 gallon tank with a constucted bio-media additional cartridge I jam in there.

I have Emperor 400's on my 30 gallon tanks and am very happy with the results. :)

Archived