Salt?

fondoo

i'm new to salt in my goldfish aquarium. looks like one of my fish has ich. how much salt should i add to a 20gal tank? how long should the salt be in the tank? what kind of salt can i use? can i use regular cooking salt?

Hi there!

Use aquarium salt. You can buy it at any pet shop, even nnnnnn. Its in a carton usually. Works great. You;ll want to salt to .3% and raise them temp slowly to 70F to 80F. To get to .3% salt concentration, go 2.5 X 20 (gallons) = 50 teaspoons. So you want to add 50 teaspoons of salt to your tank. Dont add it all at once. Do it in a period of 24 hours. So take the salt, put it in a bowl, add some tank water, and let the salt dissolve and then add!

I am going to move this thread to the diagnosis area that way you can answer all the questions in the box above. We will need this info to help you get rid of those nasty bugs.

Ive used salt in the past for ick, and it works great! It will get worse before it gets better. I meant to say to raise the temp to 79 to 80F, it will spead up the ick life cycle, and they will die off faster, but the fish may look worse at first. The ick should clear up after a week of salt. Dont use salt for more then 2 weeks tho.

Good luck!

is this right? i have a 20 gal tank = 20 tablespoon of salt. break it into 3 parts = 6 tablespoon. dump 6 tablespoon into the tank and wit 24 hrs and pour the 2nd part of 6 tablespoon. is that right??

Archived