White Marks?

fondoo

i purchased 2 red ryukins 5 days ago and for the past 2 days i've notice these white marks on the side. Is that normal?

Ammonia Level? slowly going up from cycle 0 - .5 - 1.0ppm

Nitrite Level? 0

Nitrate level? 0

Ph Level? 7.6

Tank size(How many Gals) and How long has it been running? 20" x 10" x 24"h / 2-gal. tank running since 7/12

What kind of Filtration? bio-wheel 200

How often do you change the water and how much? when ammonia hits 1.0, change 25% water

What kind of Water additives or conditioners? stress coat but will use prime. poured 2 teaspoon of tetra aqua water clariifier 2 days ago.

Any Medications add to the tank? no.

How many fish in the tank and there size? 2 LG ryukin and 1 MD black moor

Add any new fish to the tank? no.

What do you feed your fish? tertafin goldfish crisp

Any unusual behavior? Like staying

at the bottom, not eating, ect..? i came home from work today and saw one of the ryukin on the bottom tank. tapped on the glass and he was moving again. could he been sleepin? please help!!

DSC05095.jpg

DSC05098.jpg

DSC05100.jpg

DSC05103.jpg

DSC05104.jpg

Hi,Sorry to hear that you're having problems with your fish.Not to be harsh,but your tank is WAY too small for 2 large Ryukin & a Med. Sized Moor! Goldfish need at least 10 gals. per fish to have any chance of living in a healthy way.You have had the tank running for 7 days,so it's not cycled,and these three fish are living in 2 gals.of Water with Ammonia levels. As for the white marks,are they missing scales there,or is it white fuzzy patches? I can't tell by the Pics? I have to be totally honest with you here,three fish with the size you're talking,will never make it in that size of a tank. That is not big enough for even one of those fish.Is ther any possiblity that a) you can return them, B) that you can buy a larger tank,or even one of those huge Rubbermaid bins to house them in temporarily? You will not be able to cycle that tank.The levels will kill your fish while trying to do so.There is just not enough water,or room for three fish to cycle that tank and survive unscathed.You are going to have to do complete water changes until you figure out something else for them. :( How big are these fish in inches?

Judging from the inches quoted (and the pictures) the 2 gal thing may have been a spelling error. I think the white looks like rubbing of scales. Is the fish flashing? Or it could be colourchanges.

Keep up waterchanges while cycling

sorry guys, its a 20gal tank. typo. i did a 25% water change yesterday, should i do another 25% water change today? i did a water test earlier and ammonia is still 1.0ppm, nitrites 0, nitrates 0, pH 7.6. one of the ryukin's is just sitting on the bottom of the tank.

ok, i immediately did a 25% water change and here are the water test results:

pH: 7.6

Ammonia: .5

Nitrite: 0

Nitrate: 0

one of the sick ryukin is alittle more active now with the new water change but occasionally sits on the botton of the tank. both sometimes snap at each other. i'm lookin at the black moor. i've notice more and more white bubbles on its fin. Is this normal?

DSC05123.jpg

my log files:

7/17 8:35am

pH: 7.2

ammonia: 1.0

nitrite: 0

nitrate:0

7/17 25% water change

7/17 9:40am

ammonia: .5

nitrate: 0

7/18 5:!0pm

nitrate:0

7/18 25% water change

7/18 6:00pm

7/19 5:35pm

7/19 25% water change

7/19 8:30pm

ammonia: .5

thanks for everyones response. I'll pick up some aquarium salt today. one of the ryukin still sits on the bottom of the tank and only comes up when its feeding time. does anyone know why its down there? is it sick?

So did you check is it sugar coating like ich? Because if it is fuzzy instead it may be something else.

I think if there are parasites in the water your ruykin is suffering - it may also be the cycling.

It depends. Some ich can be stubbern. I had one that took quite a while. The parasite has a complicated long lifecycle (for a parasite) so I suggest treating until all spots are gone and then three more days

Hey fondoo. That is definitely ich. I would forego the rid ich and stick with just the salt. The salt will treat a bunch of other nasty parasites that your fish might be harboring at the moment as well. You will need to salt to a .3% solution. To do this you need to add 2.5 teaspoons per gallon. I would do this in 3 separate doses. First dose - 16.5 tsp, 12 hours later another 16.5 tsp and then 12 hours after that another 16.5 tsp. I would do this by dissolving it in dechlorinated water prior to adding it. When you do a water change you will need to replace the salt for the water you removed. Keep the salt in for 30 days and do many gravel vacs to remove the ich. This method is easy on your fish and actually a good method to use in quarantine when new fish are brought in to kill off parasites anyway. I hope this helps.

Also, I do think your tank is cycling and your fish will benefit from daily water changes of 20% or more to keep that ammonia below .25. I would do these changes until ammonia and nitrites read 0.

This link may help explain the cycling process better.

http://www.kokosgoldfish.com/cycle.html

Hey! I just found your thread where bigredandblindwillie was helping you. She just went through this ich mess so I would take her advice on the amount of time to treat with salt. Disregard my 30 days. I was just being extra careful. I think if you gravel vac often 2 weeks would be fine.

Archived