What The Heck?

Guest FreeTheBubbles

Guest FreeTheBubbles

Hello people. This is probably in the wrong place, so don't shout at me. I don't have test kits and so on yet (people who have read previous posts will know that I spent almost ?200 in the last 2 weeks - unhealthy for a 15 year old girl haha), but I think this problem could be to do with my water. In the last 2 days I have noticed funny rust coloured spots appearing on my gravel, rocks and plant. Strange. Also the large rock I have in the middle of my set up (don't know what kind) is turning green. I'm pretty sure it's algae, but it just will not budge! Usually my water is crystal clear =) Any suggestions?

It sounds like some algea growth to me. If you want to get the algea off the big rock in the middle, try taking it out, and scrubbing it with a tooth brush. Also, the rust colored stuff... Is it more of a brown color? This is usually what the first algea looks like in a tank. Algea growth is a good sign. It means your tank is cycling, and its healthy. Try scrubbing it off of everything if you dont like the looks of it. High Nitrates can cause alot of algea growth. If you can keep the nitrates down (below 20ppm) then you wont have as much algea growth. Also, live plants are an excellent way to keep algea growth down because it will take most of the nutrience, and leave none for the plants. When you do have the money, try to get a test kit. Also, there are alot of pet shops around here that will test your water for free. Im not sure what pet shops you have around there, but I know vvvv and mmm will test your water for free if you bring in a water sample.

Good Luck!!!

Guest FreeTheBubbles

Yeah, emm... so I cleaned all the algae off of everything, that was fine... until the next morning when more had sprouted! It's taking over my tank! And I know it's a good sign and everything, but it's ugly! I can't go scrubbing my tank and it's contents to bits every day obviously because I know it's already stressing my fish out. Is there any miracle product that you guy's use? Or should I just leave it? Thanks in advance, kind people.

Archived