Tropicals....

atryeu

*sigh* My female guppy may not make it again *points to other topic*. Since none of my female guppies want to live long after they give birth, I'm considering going with different tropicals next time. I'll still have to have a few males though LoL.

Anyways, I can't seem to find anything I can put in the tank because it's so small and because of my high ph, so I'm hoping somebody could help me figure out some stuff here...

I'd like more than just a few fish in the tank, so nothing over 3 inches fully grown. The fishies need to be affordable too.. I really don't have much money to work with (I actually have none at all for quite awhile again *sigh*). I figure, about $2 or $3/fish average.. no more than $5 for a single non-schooling fish.

Here's what I would need to keep them in:

10 gallon tank (long), cycled.

Freshwater fish only

PH: 7.8

Temp: 75-80 F

Very thin layer of gravel (regular aquarium gravel that most people use LoL)

Water flow from filter is a little strong, so nothing like the bettas that prefer calm surface water.

Prefer a community tank :)

If anybody can help me out with a few different sets of fish I could put together, I'd appreciate it! Aside for the money problem, there are only 2 stores, aside for nooppee that have fish out here, so I don't know if I can find any exotic or special breeds -_-

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I bet Mollies would be a good bet for you. they can live in brackish and salt water, so can tolerate hight pH, are hardy and very cute :) Especially balloon mollies! just add a touch of aquarium salt, and they'll be happy as clams! or mollies.... XD

I heard mollies get large though and need more than 10 gallons -_- Is that true? I had a topic somewhere on here awhile back where I asked for some advice on mollies. A friend had a pair and didn't know how to take care of them when she got them so I told her I'd get info for her LoL. Anyways, somebody said they need a large amount space.... I also read somewhere that they need a bit of algae and I don't have any in my tank o.0 LoL

livebearers need more than 10 gallons, mollies need a long tank for swimming space usually around 30 gallons. Saying that though there is a type of livebearer that can go in a 10 gallon but its really small and i cant remember what its called. its not an endler. you could keep a pair of shell dwelling cichlids in a ten and theres kilifish too which devs has a link for in another post.

There are other fish that can go in a ten but i just cant remember what they are sorry, not much use am i. :rolleyes:

You could put in a group of white clouds. They stay small and are inexpensive, and they will breed, too. They are egg layers, but breed quite readily when they are happy.

Or you could go with a group of corydoras catfish, with a couple of male guppies. I would get either peppered or bronze cories. The bronze ones come in the bronze colouration or the albino. These don't get more that a few inches long and I really enjoy them. I have a 10 gallon tank near my computer with a group of cories in it, and they are very cute. They don't just stay on the bottom either, and do swim around the tank. Also, they are long lived and very hardy. These will also lay eggs if they are happy in their surroundings.

My ph is the same as yours, and I have done well with both of these fish :) .

Sandy: :P I know lots of people that keep livebearers in a 10 gallon, just not mollies LoL. It's okay as long as you make sure you keep them from overcrowding the tank :)

"a pair of shell dwelling cichlids"

What are those o.0 I don't know a whole lot of cichlids or what types are out there. I did look into killifish, but this things sound way to spendy and I've never seen any around here. (I'd need to find the fish in a store in town. I can't afford shipping for fish through mail -_- LoL)

touchofsky: Thanks LoL. I keep thinking about a cory, but I can never find one around here -_- A friend said they got another "sucker fish" and when I seen her old one a long time ago, it looked like a little catfish. I'm not sure where she found it though o.0

I can't keep white clouds *sniff* I wanted to though... I keep hearing they can't be in temps over 75, and my tank tends to get up to 80 sometimes because of the light being on during the day.

no sweat if you want to keep livebearers in a tiny tank, i personally dont think its right but there you go. whats nice for someone isnt for another, just as i dont think bettas should be kept in anything less than 4 gallons, such is life.

i have white cloud minnows in 80 degree water for over a year now and they are doing fine. if you have plenty of aeration then you could get half a dozen of them and a couple of corys once you find some. :)

I'm the same sort of... They should be kept in something bigger, but if you have somebody to give extra fish or allow the adults to eat the young to keep from overcrowding, it isn't to bad :) I know what you mean about bettas! All I have for one is about a 1 gallon fish bowl and I always hated seeing one in it -_- One was not active at all but another just loved the little home though *sigh* I haven't had a betta for awhile now :( My last one died of old age *sniff*

Hmm, really? Maybe I should try a few white clouds then :) A friend got some at nooppee *shudders* but I don't know if they'll have any still by the time I can get uptown -_- I have a little air pump that was fit for a 10 gallon tank. I keep it off most of the time because the current is so strong and my guppy hates it (my last male loved the bubbles from it though!). My friend said she got her cory from nooppee as well so maybe they'll still have a few :)

Yeah, that's what I heard. I started thinking last night.... When my friend said she got a "sucker fish" at nooppee I figured it was a little Cory, like she had a long time ago... I remembered all the sudden that nooppee, last time I was there, had a little fish like a Cory, but it started with an "O"... I forget the name though. Any ideas? I'd know the name if I seen it again :)

Would this other little fishy, if they even still had them there by the time I make it uptown next, work with my tank info in the first post?

I read that some of the Cories and other catfish need a few live plants or something too. Is that true? I do have bulbs for a live plant, but it isn't exactly something they could latch onto or rest on very well I don't think. I forget the name, but I can go find the package again if anybody wanted to know.

Otocinculus! They are adorable, available, and affordable. You can put quite a few in a ten gallon but you have to make sure they get lots of algae wafers as they will eat a lot! Here is a pciture:

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_Di....cfm?pCatId=923

I see them at vvvv and mmm all the time - I'm sure they are at nooppee, too!

You could even add in a few shrimp to mix it up - or an afrcian swarf frog or two!

LoL That was the fish I seen :) I couldn't remember how in the world the name was spelt though o.0

Heh, I'm actually getting an african dwarf frog for my 5 gallon tank already... if it ever cycles -_- Ammonia finally raised from .5 to 1.0 so hopefully Nitrite will show up with my next test on Saturday *crosses fingers* Sure is taking it's sweet time LoL. When I cycled my 10 gallon, it flew through and showed Nitrates in about 3 weeks o.0

It gets warm here in the summer and my tanks often get around 80f. No trouble keeping my white clouds at those temperatures. They seem just fine :)

Otocinclus are very cute little fish, but they tend to be rather fragile when they are first purchased. Make sure you either have algae in the tank or as a previous poster mentioned, they get lots of algae wafers.

I have found cories to be more hardy than otos, particularly in the beginning. Cories do not need algae and need to be fed a good sinking food.

I'd rather go with a Cory than the Oto. I read about them and it sounds like they need much more space. I don't know if I can find a Cory around here anywhere though *sigh* Hopefully when I can get uptown next (about 2 weeks) I can see about going to both mmm and the other local pet store and see what all they have :)

I did find a few other fish that are small and fit a few of my tank requirements... Does anybody have any further info on these fishies:

BLack Skirt Tetra (I heard they need a group of 5 and that might be to much for my tank)

Glowlight Tetra

X-Ray Tetra

Paradise Fish

Dwarf Neon Rainbow

I didn't find much else, other than the Cory and I guess the White Clouds that do well in high ph, warm freshwater that are small enough to have several fish in my small tank. I know the tetras need at least 4 to school :) I've never had any of those fish though and only find bits of info online that doesn't help much with how easy they are to care for and such.

Sorry to steal the topic, but I've got a similar question for sandy or anyone else that can help me. If you can keep 6 white clounds and some cories in a ten gallon, can I keep 6 black neons and some cories in my ten gallon? How many cories? I think six is the best number for schooling, but could I put the number down to four or five for cory space if I need it? Thanks :)

Okay :) I think they are so cute! I'm going to get a better filter soon (the crappy one I have right now always back flows thru the intake box and I think its got a lifetime guarentee or something) and if the cory situation works out with the numbers I'll save up for some extra aeration as well...man all these "to buy' things are getting out of control! Two filters, aeration, python, ammonia, fake plants, driftwood, lots of goldfish, tetras and maybe some cories...its going to add up! I've only got 20 dollars right now lol...but I'm job hunting! I gave up on the dream of the planted tank...just too much extra work and money :P

I have no idea about the minimum cories...I've heard all the way up to six..I know there isn't enough room in my tank for six!

*patiently awaits some answers* Atryeu, you wanna wait with me? Its been a while since we've talked, and I'm sorry you're having difficulties with your guppies. Do you still have that baby guppy?

:) I had one cory for years in a tank,& he seemed okay.I eventually found more information on them,and went out and bought him two friends.When I did that,you could almost tell how much happier he was.I think at least three is a good start.If you feel that it's too many ,then at least get a pair of them.Although Cory's will kind of hang with all Cory species,they really are their happiest when they're in their own species group. I have owned Corie's for years now,and have even had some spawn and have babies.I'd actually have to do a "head count" to tell you how many I have,and how many different species I have! :lol: Just want to mention that Black Skirt Tetra's get much bigger than people realize,and that glowlight Tetra's are pretty cool.I've owned them beforeand they did well in a Community tank.As for the other's mentioned,I can't say as much as I've not owned those ones.(yet anyway) :lol:

Cories sound so cute :) Sounds like three is a good number so far, I just want to hang out to make sure they'll be okay with the black neons without it being too crowded.

Thanks devs :) Yeah, I knew Black Skirts get larger. I read about 2.3 inches somewhere. Kinda big LoL I did a search on fishprofiles for fish under 3 inches and made a list of ones that do okay in higher ph LoL.

If I find any corys, I'll go with a pair probably to start with, depending on the price. Thanks for the info about it!

Kissy, sure *waits* :) LoL None of the fry made it with that last female -_- I still haven't seen any fry from this other female LoL She's hanging in there though :)

Yay, I'm so excited today! When I did my water changes and tests, I noticed on my 5 gallon the Nitrite jumped up to 1.0 finally!!!!! Whoohoo! Almost cycled! I can't wait to get things done and get my froggy :) *tries to be patient*

Sorry to hear about your guppy troubles :\ I'm sure you'll have better luck with new fish tho :) I decided to get some cories!! I pm'd sandy instead of waiting around...yah, I guess I wasn't waiting so patiently after all!! :D Anyways, she said that as long as I had enough filtration/aeration in my tank, 6 black neon tetras and a few cories would be fine! She didn't clarify how many "a few" were tho...I think three sounds good. Lol...if we both get our cories, we can be cory sisters. Haha thats so cheesey! They look so cute with their little barbels tho :heart

LoL Kissy :) It sounds like I'm going uptown the week before Aug. 13th (my friend's baby shower is the 13th and I need to get uptown and get her something). I'm going to try and get my mom to drive me to both the local pet store and mmm so I can see both of the selections. I don't remember if mmm had any Cories or not o.0 The other place may or may not. *sigh*

I read that some tetras will school together with other tetras... Would any of the ones I listed earlier do that (exluding the Black Skirts.. if I did those, there wouldn't be any room for anything else)

I have a quick question about the Tetras :) I have an add for mmm with an offer through the end of next month for Neon and Black Neons (6 for $6). I read that Neons need the lower PH, no higher than 7.5 and I was curious if anybody has kept them in anything higher. My PH is 7.8 in my fish tank and I didn't know if they could be kept in something like that or not.

I hope somebody can answer soon :) I'll be going uptown either the 8th or 11th if all goes well, and if the tetras would do okay, I wouldn't mind getting a few for my 10 gallon :)

Okay, sorry, another quick question :)

I read somewhere else online that Neons can be kept in ph 5-8 (is that true?) Do Black Neons do well in the same areas? Will the two school together or would it be best to go with 6 of just one of them? If so, which of the two would be best for my water conditions *points to first post* :)

I hope somebody gets back to me about the tetras :)

Archived