My Parents Need A Koi Pond

MaudlinBlithe

I'm in love..... must convince parents to build a koi pond....

But of course they think I'm crazy... They say "We've got a huuuuuge pond with cat fish and bass, etc. why do we need another one?"

grrr... They need one because i say so right?

Then they always say: are you going to come out here and feed them and take care of the pond?

And I say: well dad loves fish! he can do it!

sniff sniff sniff....

(but to be honest, they live in the country and the pond would have to be out in the open.... they get blue heron out here that would try to eat the koi as they try to grow up... They also get some kind of a hawk or something that tries to eat the baby ducks, geese, and chicks. So I told them: Well! we can build a gazeebo around the koi pond!!! It would be AMAZING!!!! See my dad has a bunch of huge ASH trees that are dieing right now from ash borers that are attacking both of the woods he owns. so I said that we could use the wood to buid the gazeebo, but the says he would have no way to cut long skinny boards... I said "who needs to cut them up? dig a big whole with your bull dozer and plop the whole tree in! ")

And to think! They think I am excessive!

One way or another... I'll get a koi pond at my parents. one day or another.

How expensive is a 500 and a 1,000 pond set-up? is it cheaper to buy this way? or is it cheaper to slowly buy all the things one needs?

First, don't think cheap when building a pond think 'what is the best way.' The reason is if you try and go the cheapest way you'll end up spending more money in the long run. Spend out the bucks up front and get it done right and it'll pay for itself in the future. TRUST ME, I've spent close to 4 times the amount I should have spent if I would have done things right the first time.

The blue Heron will eat your fish, the gazeebo idea if fantastic! Soon I will have the my gazeebo type deal done over my pond and I'll take pictures so everyone can see. It looks awesome now and isn't even half done, can't wait for it to be finished. It might be just the thing your thinking of?

Ponds are work, so they are right to ask if your going to take care of it :) I am cleaning my pond (well filter) EVERY DAY, it is time consuming. I have nothing better to do though. I love my fish. A smaller set up is easier, a larger is better IMHO.

500 to 1,000 really isn't that big, so it's not too expensive. The cheapest way to go, while still doing it right, would be a xenon liner or 45 epdm liner. The most expensive thing will be more pump and bio filter. For this size pond I'd go with a skimmer box adn bottom drain as inlet and send water back in through bio falls. YOu really wouldn't need anything more. Some people use submersable pumps, I would use an external because (again IMHO) you have no chance of accidental fish electrocution, or oils spills, plus they use less electricity (plus right). Externals are just a little more expensive up front but save in the long run.

Scott

Scott

*grins* Very good points Scott! Too many times we buy one thing, turns out we should have went with the more,lol! Starting out small only leads to having to re-do the whole and expand also. So if your going to build, do it right the first time.

It does not hurt to over filter, in fact, in filtration, more is better or as they say: too much filtration is never enough! :)

I look forword to the pics Scott. :)

Archived