Killifish

I recently receive a fish catalogue in the mail unexpectedly. It was doctor Fosters and Smith. In there they were selling killifish (I sure hop I'm spelling that right). But these little fish were soooooo expensive.... I can't remember the exact price right now, but I'll make a guess at atleast 10 or fifteen bucks each (????).

So, why are these lil cuties so much?

(no don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that they aren't worth that much! it's just that I had never even heard of them before this catalogue came in the mail and was just wanting some one here at kokos to fill me in)

in my foster smith they were $49.99 a pair! but its because they are really gorgiose, and have a neat ability to so the "sea monkey" thing with their eggs, being that when they lay the eggs, you dry the eggs out, and then can re-activate them at a later time.

I had four killi fish, they were beautiful fish. When i get rid of my tropical tanks, they went with them. They were kinda spendy, but they absolutely beautiful fish. i would spend the money again any day! Only problem with them is they like to jump. I had to keep the tank completly sealed, even the tiniest hole they would get out of... and when you opened to top to feed them, they would try to jump out... LOL... they sure had a personality all their own!

Hi - I just ordered my killifish from Arizona Aquatic gardens - they were charging a LOT less than Fosters and Smith (but shipping is pricey becasue it is overnight). I didn't know about the jumping, though, and I left them in a pail while acclimating them - went to the store - and came back to find three of them in the sink! Two recovereds but the tird one did not make it... he died later that day. He survived the shipping but he did not survive me! They have a labyrinthine organ, like Betts, to breathe air. I guess that's why they lived! Pretty impressive!

Check out the American Killifish association for lots of details on different breeds - they DO mention the jumping! :) But, yeah - why are they so expensive?!

I am sure some varieties are more expensive than others...

okay. maybe they were that expensive in the fosters and smith catalog. I thought they were, but I didn't want to "jump the gun" and make a mistake and say they were more expensive than that!!!! :)

Archived