How Long Are You Goldies?

DataGuru

I'm curious... for the goldies you'd had for more than a year.

How long are they from mouth to base of the tail?

How long is the tail?

What type of goldie?

I'll post a summary when we have enough responses.

mine will be a year in sept. and my two commons are around 5 inches... Sharky the oranda is more then that, but its mostly tail, his body is a good 4 inches though. Minerva the other oranda is only about 3 1/2, but she was tiny when I purchesed her.

My two lionheads are about 3 inches. but my Moore that I just bought like a month ago has sprouted! i bought him at 1/2 inch, and he's almost 2 inches now!!

as for tails, the commons are short, as are the Lionheads, but the orandas and my Moores are quite long. but I picked for long tails

Well, my chubbster is the size of a baseball... Hes pretty fat.

Shubby is about 7 to 8 inches from mouth to fin

Peaches is about 5 inches long, and 3 1/2 inches in width.. hes pretty fat. Big Red is about an inche bigger then peaches

BuckWheat, well shes the tiny one in the tank. About 3 inches mouth to fin, and about 2 inches belly wise. LOL......

I have found commons/comets/shubunkins get around 12-16 inches; ryukins, orandas and fantail tend to be 10-12, and the rest about 8-12. except pearlscales... i think they get about 6-8, but make the waste of a 12 incher!

Guest Esareh

Aura: about 5 inches heat to tail. tail is about 2 and a half inches. type of fish is a ryukin (with a LONG purdy tail! ribbon tailed ryuknis i think thier called)

Poka:2 and a half inches head to tail. tail is about an inch. type is a calicoe telescope eye.

Pandee: a little over an inch long head to tail. tail is about a 1/3 of an inch long. panda telescope eye.

Marble: about 2 and a half inches long (fat though) from head to tail. tail about 3 quarters of an inch long. hes a pearlscale

Whistle:3 inches head to tail. tail is about an inch and a quarter long. an oranda.

Tumble. about 2 and 3 quarter inches long. tail is about a half an inch long. he's a lion head.

EDIT: wait...goldies for more than a year? Nevermind. :/

Okay now let's see:

Big Boy Red Oranda 3 1/2 " (maybe 4)

Sash Ryukin 2 "

Willy Fantail 1 1/2"

Nilly Fantail 1 1/2"

Stubbie Ryukin 2 "

:yeah:

Do old fishes that I used to have count?

I've only had my current goldies for a few months :(

I used to have a Moor that was 7" nose to tail and he was about 2 years old. :)

Slugger

Guest squeeker

Calico Ryukin, body 4.5", tail about 2", over 3 years of age (full grown when I got him)

Red and white ryukin, body 4.5", tail probably 4.5" or longer, over 3 years of age (full grown when I got her)

red ryukin, body 1.5", tail 3/4", raised from fry born about a year and 2 months ago, parents are the above ryukins

calico ryukin, body 1", tail 1", raised from fry born a year ago, parents are the above ryukins

calico ryukin, body 3/4", tail 1", raised from fry born a year ago, parents are the above ryukins

white fantail, body 2", tail 2", I've had her for a year and she's doubled in size

ok. Here's mine:

-5" body, 5" tail Lumpy (moor) since May 2003 (about 28 months).

-5" body, 5" tail Bugsy (moor) since March 2004 (about 16 months)

-4" body, 5" tail Stripe (ryunkin) since March 2004 (about 16 months)

-6" body, 5" tail Coco (oranda) since June 2004 (about 13 months)

and the newbies.

-3" body, 3" tail Fancy (ryunkin) since March 2005 (about 4 months)

-4" body, 3" tail Scooter (oranda) since March 2005 (about 4 months)

Guest squeeker
Hey Squeeker, your last three fish sound about the size we'd normally get at a pet store. So do you think the smaller pet store goldies are about a year old?

Dataguru,

Of those last 3, the only truly "pet store" goldie I have is the white fantail. I've had her for just over a year, and, as I said, she's about doubled in size, filling out both in length and girth. Her tail has doubled in length, as well.

The other two, the calico ryukins, are almost EXACTLY a year old, as I raised them myself from their eggs to the point they're at now. Ironically, they were born at the pet store before I aquired the parents, so I guess they are technically "pet store" goldies! The fry were raised in a 5 gallon tank, about 30 fry or so, and fed bbs 2 or 3 times a day for the first few weeks. After a month or so the remaining fry (we didn't lose many) were moved to a 10 gallon, where they started eating flake food. I believe these fish may be a bit stunted as they didn't recieve frequent water changes, or as much food as they probably should have had. Regardless, they continue to grow. I'd say they're the size of pet store goldies, but they don't have as much girth as pet store goldies do. Not sure why.

All my fish are in a 77 gallon and recieve weekly 50% water changes, if that helps.

Dunno how much detail you are looking for, as I don't know exactly what you want all this info for!

EDITED TO SAY:

I think I read your post wrong! Did you mean, "Your fish are the size of pet store goldies. So, in your opinion, are pet store goldies around a year old?"

:krazy: I'm not sure. I always thought my little guys were stunted, as others have posted their fish having fry and being FAR bigger at the one-year point than mine are. Since I assume that most pet-store goldfish are raised in large ponds, I don't think they'd be overcrowded, or have a lack of food. So, since my guys seem so small, I always thought that pet store goldies are 6-8 months old. On the other hand, my guys didn't start to color up until they were 6-8 months old!

I have a common that has a 3-3.5 in body.

I have a commet that has a 3 in body.

I will have them for a year next month but they are probably a year already. They had slow growth because in the beggining i was so careful not to overfed them. I also heard about the swim bladder disease and did not realize that is was more aplicable to the fancies. So anyways I upped the feedings because I want my fishies to be big and healthy! looking forward to the results! thanks!

Guest yabbie

Common - 18cm

Shibunkin - 16cm

Fantail - 12cm

Comet - 12cm

Sorry... I'm younger than the introduction of metric... can't go back.

Black moor was about ------------------------------ like that

calico is more like this-----------------------------but she is a chubby lady

Both of their tails are gorgeous!! full and fan like.....although my moor is now passed on but he was a cutie pie!!! :wub:

umm i think...........

Rocky-fantail is about 4.5"

Uter-pearlscale is about 1"

stewie-pearlscale crown is about 2"

blinky-black moor is about 2"

chii-fantail is 3"

thats from tail to mouth...

and im guessing that my small goldies tails are about 1" or something...'im just guess'

marco

DataGuru, you gatta add some pictures of Lumpy and his little friend to the post! they are adorable.. especially the one where the little guy is hiding in Lumpys tail

Are you talking about this one?

Goldies050709a.jpg

Here's everyone (back in May)

Goldies050522l.jpg

What I'm hoping to do is get an idea of how large different types of goldies actually get.

Keep those measurements coming guys! LOL

length of body

length of tail

What type of goldie

One fish - Graham Norton - barely one inch long body when purchased one year ago. He is now 4.5 inches long! his tail is enormous - about 6 inches long 7 vertically. He was a blackmoor, now he is an orange telescope. :D

Guest Wingfinger

My biggest commet is around 9.0-9.5" from nose to base of tail, with tail added I'd say she was about 11-11.5" though I'd really need to get a ruler to her.

Archived