Mary's Got Worse!

Guest danxxx

Guest danxxx

Hello, this is another of the many posts I've made recently about Mary the black moor. I'll try to tell the story briefly. I got her about 3 weeks ago. She was really vigorous and healthy looking when I brought her home. Within about three days tho, she started sitting at the bottom or hanging near the top most of the time. At first I was afraid she'd got whatever had killed my last black moor. He'd sat at the bottom for about a month before suddenly curling up and dying. I thought that he'd died because I hadn't known much about water quality then or that he'd got some kind of sickness from the snail I'd put in the tank just before he got ill. But with Mary, I asked a lot of questions and read alot, and her stringly crinkly clearish poo, and swollen belly, made me believe she's been passing reabsorbed eggs (and might have been constipated too). I added salt 1 teaspoon per gallon (I just found out Epsom would've been better and was just in the process of clearing out the regular salt to replace it with epsom) and fasted her then fed her peas. She started pooing healthier (tho she's still been passing the mucousy, stringy, crinkly egg stuff too). Anyway, I thought she was getting better, but yesterday, she started having bad swimm bladder trouble, rolling over belly-up and having a hard time keeping upright. Now, today, she's just 'resting' belly-up at the bottom and hardly even trying to swim!!! I don't know what I'm doing wrong. Am I cursed when it comes to goldfish? Could it be some kind of internal digestive bacteria illness after all, which might have been brought by that snail (which I kept when I got Mary but have since given back to the shop)? What should I do??? Help!!!

Here are my details again:

Amonia:0 NitrIte:0 NitrAte:20 Ph: 7.5 Tap Ph:8 (I'm using half & half tap and RO)

Tank Size: 8 US gallons (I know it ought to be bigger, but didn't work out US vs UK gallons right when I bought it. There's only the one fish though & water quality's been fine).

Filtration: Internal power filter (bigger than what's recommended for my tank's size)

Water Changes: Changed some every day til it had cycled & now changing about 30% weekly.

Additives: Dechlorinator for the half tap water, RO Right for the half RO water, 1 teaspoon salt per gallon, Stresszyme to kickstart cycle. No medication.

Number Fish: Just Mary, she's about 2-3 inches long.

Food: Bloodworm paste, live brine shrimp (strained thru net 1st), food granules, blanched peas occasionally.

Visible Symptoms: None, aside from her behaviour and what I've mentioned above.

When you say regular salt do you mean table salt? If so, that is an emergency to get it out of the tank. You will need to do water changer after water change to remove that. Epsom salt and aquarium salt should be the only to ever be used.

Does her poop look like linked sausages? Is it completely clear like it has air bubbles in it? I would think that this would be more of a swim bladder issue right now.

You seem to be doing everything else like the book which is good. Does she like the peas? If so, then I would give her those for another day or so. I would then go ahead and start feeding her some medicated food. Follow the instructions for the length of treatment etc...

you dont need ro water. the ph from the tap is fine.

not sure but maybe you could be feeding too much meat in the diet. how often do you feed the bloodworm and brine shrimp? use sinking pellets to stop her coming to the surface. starve her just now for 4 days and see if this helps, and then just give peas for a couple of days.

Guest danxxx

Hi, no I'm not using table salt, I'm using aquarium salt, and like I said, I was just about to exchange it for epsom. Ranchugirl suggested I do this by doing four 25% water changes, then adding the epsom. Can I do it any faster than that, like say two 50% water changes then add epsom?

Her poo right now looks either like the stringy, milky crinkly (zig-zag?) stuff which I've been told shows she's passing reabsorbed eggs, or it looks like a combination of that with a bit of greenbrown poo in it. Now and then it'll have a tiny bubble of trapped air, but it's not completely clear, nor would I desribe it as looking like link sausages. When I fed her peas though, a couple days ago, it came out nice and thick and pea-coloured.

I feed her the bloodworm paste or brineshrimp maybe twice a week, and peas once or twice a week. Some days I don't feed her at all. I don't know where to get medicated food. I'll have to ask my local fish-shop. What kind would you suggest as being all round best?

The reason I've been using half RO and half tap is because our local tap water can have really high nitrAtes, but having said that, I just found out that that's only during the weekend for some odd reason, so if I do my water changes during the weekdays, you're right, plain tap ought to be fine. I'll test it.

Anyway, Mary does seem to be feeling a wee bit better. She's been swimming around some this afternoon, though when she does she clearly has a hard time keeping well-balanced. But whenever she rests, she rolls over belly-up, so I'm really worried none-the-less. She also has quite an appetite. I just fed her half a blanched pea with one tiny grain of epsom in it, which was a suggestion I found here on Koko's board. She got really excited. Who knows if she's getting better? Hard to tell, she's had so much trouble.

Can anyone give me any more advice, especially about how fast I can change the water to exchange aquarium salt for epsom? And any other help would be gladly welcomed! I don't want her to die.

Thanks as always!!!

Guest danxxx

Oops, me again. I forgot to mention, I think her belly has swelled a bit more. Was swollen already, due to her passing absorbed eggs (from what I'm told), but I reckon it looks a bit rounder today.

I also forgot to mention we've had a bit of a heatwave here this week with the temperature above 85, then quickly chilling down at night. Might this affect her swim bladder, her egg passing, her digestion or anything else?

Hope this isn't too much info.

Thanks!

Guest danxxx

Hi, sorry, me again, next day. She's not feeling better after all, she's just laying there belly-up on the bottom all the time again, breathing gently. Last night she was floating belly-up. I hate to watch her, makes me feel awful for the poor dear. I don't think she's constipated tho, cause she pooed out the pea I gave her. Does anyone have any advice on how fast I can change out the water with the aquarium salt, so that I can get some epsom in there instead? Any advice on whether or not the fluctuating temperature might be affecting her? Any more advice at all? I'm terribly sorry for all my jillions of posts. but I'm really really worried! Thanks for anything you might be able to add...

Archived