Sign in to follow this  
my nemo

Frozen Blood Worms

Guest Luke Anderson

break or cut off the amount you are going to feed, put it in a cup (or similar), of lukewarm water (it doesn't matter if it is tap water because it is so small an amount) thaw. Then depending on the quality of the worms they may need to be rinsed off before feeding, which can be done using a fine net. Then just dump them in :)

What are the best Frozen Bloodworm's? Thank-you.

I like the San Francisco Bay brand of frozen bloodworms from PetSmart for my two orandas. :)

I keep a package of the worms in my freezer and pop out one cube on Wednesdays. (Blood Worm Wednesdays--yay!)

I add a bit of tank water to a small mircrowavable bowl, drop in the cube of blood worms, then place the bowl in the microwave and heat it up for 15-20 seconds.

I use a plastic fork to stir around the worms/break up the cube, let them cool off, then use the fork to lift the worms out of the bowl and place them in the tank for the fish to eat. (I'm allergic to the worms so I try not to touch them with my hands.)

There are lots of worms in one cube and they float everywhere. I add about half the worms in the cube (so as not to over-feed my little guys) and throw the rest away.

(Note: I used to try cutting the frozen cube in half, but it was a lot of bother, and there are lots of cubes in a package, so now I just throw away what I don't use instead. I'm not sure if you can re-freeze the leftovers...)

The fish love the worms. They need to chew on each worm for a few seconds, so they take a while to eat them. Sometimes there are extra worms floating at the top of the tank, so I just clean them up with a net when the fish are full.

Hope that helps!

Hi Heidi,

For future reference threads whose last post that are more than three months old should only be read, and need not be replied to, unless there is a critical reason to do so. Just start your own thread on the topic :)

I have used Hikari, San Francisco Bay, and H2O brands, and the order of preference is in that order as well. Having said that, I did not see any differences in the fish's response or health with any of these brands.

You can thaw out the worms and keep them cool in the fridge for a day, if you have only a few fish to feed.

Thank-you. I appreciate you taking the time to help.

Hi Heidi,

For future reference threads whose last post that are more than three months old should only be read, and need not be replied to, unless there is a critical reason to do so. Just start your own thread on the topic :)

I have used Hikari, San Francisco Bay, and H2O brands, and the order of preference is in that order as well. Having said that, I did not see any differences in the fish's response or health with any of these brands.

You can thaw out the worms and keep them cool in the fridge for a day, if you have only a few fish to feed.

Thank-you. Sorry about that.

@ Fred, Things that are defrosted don't freeze it again.

Like you said throw it away